 CAD / 6237
Re: Datsville continuation - more ideas
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev, lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2001 00:39:15 GMT

Hey, no problem.  I just browse Lugnet every once in a while to see if any
progress on such a utility exists.  I notice there has been little mention
of such a thing in the newsgroups in the past.

It would be a "cool" toy.

Thanks,
  Mike

In lugnet.cad, James Reynolds writes:
Doesn't POVray do this inately?  After all, at some point POVray has to
decide which information it will display, and which information it will not
display.

If I understand the question correctly, and from my understanding of how a ray-
tracer works, Pov-ray must keep all polygon data while it renders since it
"traces" all the light rays, even those that you can't see (inside of a brick).
It doesn't clip the top/bottom/left/right or eliminate backsides, or z-buffer
until it has done all the lighting calculations.

Ok, I haven't really experimented very much with omitting polygons from
LDraw models (I said I would in previous posts... but...).  But, after all
invisible lines/boxes have been deleted, how many polygons are left over in
comparison to those in, say, Unreal or Quake?

Ldraw has a ton of extra polygons compared to Unreal or Quake.  It would be
possible to optimize a model by writing a utility that does it's own "ray-
tracing" and eliminates all polygons that don't see the light of day.  However,
this is a big project, and is way over my head.

Just my 2 cents.

--

Thanks:

James Reynolds