 CAD / 5137
Re: Interesting Minutia in 7146 Instructions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 20 Dec 2000 22:23:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Steve Bliss writes:
Well, interesting to me...

While building the TIE Fighter set, I noticed an obvious CAD-ism in the
instructions.  Looking at the inset in step 10 (on page 3), the outer edges
of the 4x4 radar dish are obviously composed of lines, not a smooth curve.

My understanding (partly what I've heard, partly what I've guessed) has
been that LEGO instructions are prepared using a 2D library of static part
images.  Maybe they've at least gotten to the point where they are
generating new views of parts from their CAD database?

The error you noticed has also been seen last year in the initial release of
the soccor sets... And probably a few others.
LEGO has their own in-house 3D LEGO CAD program of sorts. It's pretty new.
(And that's all I know about it)
They used to design instructions by taking pictures of the sets at each point
of the process and having artists convert it to a drawing.
Computer graphics tend to get pixelated - the jaggies you see - when they're
blown up too large.  (the 3-D to 2-D conversion)
It's just sloppy.
-Jon