 CAD / 4034
Re: modelling software
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 10:13:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Alan Kershaw writes:
Dear all,

as a novice to the idea of CAD, does anyone have advice about software to use
to design models on computer prior to building them.
I am thinking mostly of castles, and my attempts with Lego Creator have been
very clunky and timeconsuming

Cheers

Alan Kershaw

Creator is fun for blowing stuff up but is not really a "design" tool.

As Frank B said, LDraw is the standard in the AFOL community, stick with LDraw
compatible tools and you won't go far wrong. www.ldraw.org for what's available
(all of this info is on the home page for the section if you view it in your
browser... try www.lugnet.com/cad, er that is, the less natural but technically
more correct www.lugnet.com/cad/ )

MLCad is the greatest for doing modeling, I think, and ML is a great author,
very responsive to user suggestions. For rendering quickly, check out LDLite,
and for the fun 3d stuff, look into POVray and the convertors to and from it.

Again, go to www.ldraw.org for the full skinny, ask again if confused. There is
a LOT of info out there to digest, go do your homework and come back.

++Lar