 CAD / 2599
Re: ledit questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 7 Sep 1999 13:55:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Brian Sauls writes:
As I was polishing up some of my houses for Datsville, putting backs on
them, adding furniture, finishing roofs, outside details, etc, I wound up
with a few questions:

1.  I know of the 1000 piece limit.  Are subfiles counted as one piece, or
do the pieces within the subfiles count too?

Subfiles are one piece.  ASFAIK, that's the only solution to the 1000 piece
limit (Make sure you save before you reach it).

2.  Is there any way to rotate the *entire* model in Ledit while building
it?  I realize that I can start another model with the original model used
as a subfile and rotate it that way, but I'd rather not.  (This problem came
about after viewing the background through my yellow house in Datsville.  I
don't usually put backs on my houses and when I decided to add backs and
innards before posting, I became really frustarated with my lack of a rear
3D view.)

Unfortunately, that's one of the limitations of LEdit.  You could start another
model, like you said, and then inline that, but then to get it to face front,
you'd have to follow the same steps.

3.  Is there a quick and easy way to count the number of pieces within a
model? I found piece count in LDAO, but it only gave me the number of the
different *types* of pieces.  I haven't played with it any further, and it's
quite possible that I may have missed this feature in either LDAO or Ledit.

If you don't need an exact piece count, just look at the line number in LEdit,
but that won't count pieces in submodels. L2P will give you a piece count, but
again, not in sub models.  That said, I'm not sure that there's any utility
that counts in the submodels...

Too, I'm realizing why TLG may not design many houses--the piece counts are
outrageous.  Sure, they could junior them down with a lot of prefab, but
that's probably worse than not having *any* houses.  And houses are big,
too.  After modeling my parent's house at minifig scale(64x48 studs) , I
decided to try and keep them around the size of the 6372 Townhouse--with
little success, I might add.

It's not too difficult to keep the part count down if you don't have unlimited
pieces, but in LDraw... :)  It might make Datsville look more elegant if
everyone tries to keep the size down to maybe twice the size of the house with
porch...
--Bram