 CAD / 2518
  Re: Datsville

Very nice, John!! One thing that bugs me though is being able to see grass through the windows. Would it be possible for you to change that in an image editing program?? Also, for the fire station, when I post it, should I do a post of the complete (...) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

Dennett <dennett@agate.net> wrote in message news:199909031625050...ate.net... (...) That bugs me too. I'd like to keep post-processing to a minimum, so I'd rather find an LDraw or POV solution. (...) Nah, what's a few extra kb of stuff compared to (...) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Well, people could make floors. I understand that's a little weird, espeically when people are used to putting things on baseplates, but look at it this way. Your house in the real world has a floor - why should your house in Datville be (...) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) That will solve part of the problem, but since minifig homes often don't have backs, you end up seeing right through the house. Perhaps I could add glass to all the windows, then define the glass properties in POV to reflect and refract the (...) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) house (...) <blink blink> Hadnt't even considered that. I make opening structures, but I guess that's a bit tricky in a .dat, isn't it? James (URL) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) You could add a large quad to the back of each house...but then you can't see the interiors looking from the back. (...) Tips >for doing this are quite welcome. Wouldn't that add a lot to the rendering time? --Bram BTW, if you want some (...) (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Sounds good, just leave plenty of flat space in the center. Why don't you include a river running north to south a bit east of the town. One of these days I'm going to add a sunset, too. -John Van (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Make sure that there are plates underneath the building? Or is it grass that is showing through from all the way through the building? (25 years ago, 3-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Besides, (...) :-) (...) other (...) I'm going to send the files to just you because I don't want to really release the .dats until my webpage is up. I'll send all the trucks separate, but I'll include lines in the station file so that if you (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) of (...) I'm not sure how to make a river (and I don't know where east is :), but I was able to make some hills. Is 500x500 studs enough room? If the town grows too big, you can always scale the height field/sky/fog more. I'll email you the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) If you could just make a recessed area (say 20 studs across) for the dry riverbed, I can add the water. Direction doesn't really matter, since I can just rotate the heightfield. -John Van (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) You got 2 gray 32x32s, just make sure you landscape any area not used by the station or driveways/parking lots. Your station doesn't by chance have bay doors on both sides, does it? The streets on the long sides of your plot are 1-way, so it (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) since (...) OK, I think I can do this using two heightfields, one for the river and one for the hills. I was thinking about making the river wind back and forth gently. Do you want some straight stretches for docks, etc? How deep does the (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Unfortunately, both. The plates underneath I can take care of, but the windows through the unfinished backs of buildings will be difficult-- especially where there isn't any glass. BTW: we now have a train station and so need a train :-) I (...) (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Just a few bricks deep. Gently winding river is great, with straight stretches for bridges, docks, etc. -John Van (25 years ago, 4-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) two (...) the (...) bay (...) are (...) OK it's officially done. I need to build one more truck and that will put the closing 0 at line 999. The trucks are not inlined either. One thing that I do need to know is what color(s) should the trucks (...) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

Heya all ! Where may I send my .DAT models when I want them give in Datsville ? Rene (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  (canceled)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Post them in the lugnet.cad.dat.models newsgroup, with Datsville in the subject line. Can't wait to see it. -John Van (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) We should hold back on trains untill someone makes the curved track pieces. And yes trains can do hills. -- Jonathan Wilson wilsonj@xoommail.com (URL) (25 years ago, 5-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Datsville

(...) Is there an easy way to tell POV that a given surface is a one way window type of deal? You could fill in missing walls with a surface which is totally transparent from the outside, and either a neutral color, or the interior color from the (...) (25 years ago, 7-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)

  Re: Datsville

(...) have (...) properties (...) Great minds think alike! I don't know the answer to this, but I intend to post a question about it on the POV newsgroup. I was thinking about a 1-way mirror. -John Van (25 years ago, 8-Sep-99, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.general)