 CAD / 17145
Re: Straightening Up the MPD Format
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 2 Apr 2010 09:42:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
What if we make a recommendation that new software with MPD support optionally
includes parent object's file name in its MPD-internal name? And if the software
has an unpack function, user may choose to keep that safer name or to restore
its original name. Of course the program should not freak out when confronted to
an MPD file made by older software.

I am not sure this is really necessary. The two "door.ldr" model must reside in
different folders, so if you encode relative path in file name it should work
(not tested with current tools though...)

Philo
I have been faced with this problem some time ago at my application MPDCenter.
I had nearly the same idea but I decided to use "&&" to combine the files that
should be in the same file because I do not expect any filename to contain "&&".
Example:
Model1.ldr
File1.ldr
File2.ldr

Model2.ldr
File1.ldr
File2.ldr

Will be combined into
Model3.ldr
Model1.ldr&&File1.ldr
Model1.ldr&&File2.ldr
Model2.ldr&&File1.ldr
Model2.ldr&&File2.ldr

With this approach you can split the files if needed without problem.

cu
mikeheide