 CAD / 15896
Re: Still no zip file for 2008-01?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 26 Dec 2008 04:55:14 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jim DeVona wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Michael Heidemann wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Allen Smith wrote:
   LDraw Library Update 2008-01 is still posted only as a Windows executable. Why is there not yet an universally-accessible zip file of its contents?

Allen

Why do you need that? Under Linux I have tested this executable and it works perfect (with wine).

That’s goofy. The content of the library update is a group of LDraw files, not a program. Zip is a common and perfectly reasonable format for distributing such files; it is natively supported on most operating systems I’m aware of. Packing some text files as a Windows executable to run under Wine or some other Windows compatibility system is hardly an optimal solution for Mac or Linux users.

Allen, I suspect it’s just the case that those who prepared that release weren’t very familiar with the growth of the LDraw system beyond Windows. I’ll try to see if a zip version can be made available.

Jim

Actually with the new license anyone can repackage it as a regular zip. I suspect most zip programs could open the executable zip anyway.

But I agree that ldraw.org should make it available in a universal format. I’d guess it just slipped through the cracks.

Tim