 CAD / 1520
Re: Problem loading LUGNET .dats into LEdit
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 4 Apr 1999 21:56:03 GMT

In lugnet.cad, main@appstate.edu (Thomas Main) writes:
An example of a model that works is:

0 Name: 18wheelr.dat
0 Author: Bram Lambrecht

Thomas, what is the exact URL of the 18wheelr.dat file you are accessing?
The only one that I know of it the one Bram announced in December pointing
to his tutorial site at advanced.org, right.  And if that URL

   http://library.advanced.org/20551/temp/18wheelr.dat

is loaded up, it displays as a plaintext file without popping up a dialog
box.  (Earlier you said that you "click on the save file button in the
dialog that pops up.")

One that doesn't is Duane Hess' jeep.dat.

OK, do you mean that you first visited the page

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/display.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:16

and from there clicked the "Open this as an LDraw .DAT file" link

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/ldraw.cgi?lugnet.cad.dat:16

and then saved the DAT content to a file from a dialog box that popped up?

I looked at both files and noticed some differences:

jeep.dat had empty lines throughout the file - I removed those.

Did it have empty lines on every other line or sporadically?

What editor did you use to view the file and remove the empty lines?

How long ago did you save the content to a file?  Days?  Weeks?  Months?
If you saved it before February 27, some DOS/Windows editors may have had
difficulty understanding the line breaks.  See

   http://www.lugnet.com/news/fullthread.cgi?lugnet.cad.dev:411

for more details.

jeep.dat seemed to have one line that didn't wrap - so I fixed that.

You mean that most of the lines DID wrap, but one didn't, so you made that
one wrap also?  Hmm, none of the lines in jeep.dat are wrapped for me when
I load it up into my editor...but LEDIT handles line wraps just fine,
anyway, right?

I tried loading the newly tweaked jeep.dat into LEdit again and saw
something strange:

Two lines of the .dat file showed up in LEdit.  The first one was the
first piece (hooray!) and the second one was a piece about halfway
through the model - and those were the only two pieces to show up in
LEdit.  They also didn't draw on the screen as I pressed PgDn.

I think we may need to see the .DAT file you have.  It sounds very different
from the one I have, at least the best I can reconstruct the sequence of
events that you took.  You can post it here on this thread in lugnet.cad if
you like -- just put it at the bottom of your reply.

Thanks for all the help you guys have been giving - I'm thinking I may
just give up on this problem though - I'm sure it's just something I'm
not thinking of right and the models show up fine in LDLite.

Bugs like this are very important to get to the bottom of.  If it happened
to you, it could happen to anyone.  It might also point to something worse,
or more insidious, for all we know at this point.  Maybe there is still some
weird parsing thing in the ldraw.cgi script on the server.  Even if it turns
out to be something simple (cockpit error, perhaps) then it's important that
we understand exactly how it happened so we can educate people on how to
avoid the same thing in the future, or tweak the processes to avoid it in
the first place.

In any case, thanks for reporting the problem so that we may even have the
chance to get to the bottom of it.  Thanks also for your continued patience
in reporting follow-up details.

--Todd