 CAD / 1482
1481  |  1483
Subject:
Part Tracker news
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:24:10 GMT

Hi everyone,

This is a quick note to notify everyone about the status of the Part
Tracker.  I've been out of the loop for quite a while due to school work
commitments, and will probably continue to be very busy into June.  As a
result, I haven't ever found time to make many promised improvements to
the Part Tracker, and in fact I've let it lapse into a unmanaged state.
For this I apologize.  I also must apologize to everyone who has sent me
e-mail over the past many months without ever receiving a reply.  I will
try to make an attempt to catch up on it over the next few weeks.
However, I will be graduating soon, and with that will no longer have a
place to host my web site.  Immediately after graduation I will be
traveling a bit and will be without a permanent home for at least a
month.  Thus, I will be without a web page for at least that length of
time, and probably longer until I get settled in with my new job and
life.  So, there are two options I see for the Parts Tracker:

1) It closes in mid May along with the rest of my web site, to be reopened
at an unspecified future time by me.  I am committed to completely
redesigning it to be less cumbersome in this case, but it will take time.

or

2) Someone else takes over management of it.  It is written in Perl for
the most part.  I will be the first to admit that the code is
embarrasingly ugly, but it gets the job done, and I'm happy to give the
source to whoever wants it.

And of course a combination of 1) and 2) could also work, with someone
hosting the tracker long enough for me to move and get re-established
online.

Please let me know what you think!

Regards,
-Zach