 CAD / 14221
Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 15:17:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote:
   When you say “other editing helper applications” are you implying that programs like what I am proposing already exist? That would certainly save me a lot of redundant effort. Can you name a few of these apps so I know where to look?

This question comes up every so often, and I always like to point out Paul Easter’s utilities page. It’s got several nice utility programs and parts, and is loaded with great ideas on how to make the most of your screen real estate when creating parts. Check out the tricycle dev screenshot. It’s got several l3lab and ldview windows open, probably in polling mode to update automatically on any changes, and possibly with the part slowly spinning in one of the ldview windows. He’s also got LDAO open for the enhanced text editor functionality. LDDP would work here as well, and comes with several functions and addional plugins for part designers.

Perhaps you should consider what you can add to this suite of tools with your program rather than doing it all yourself? Something that can help find and directly manipulate primitives would be a really nice addition. Just make sure it can share the file with all the other tools while you’re working.

   I had in the past tried my hand (somewhat unsuccessfully) at creating some new LDraw parts. I found the tutorials on ldraw.org to be helpful, but I was surprised at how “manual” the process seems to be. (Edit the file in Notepad? Seriously??) Being a software geek, I found it easier to write a C program to transform coordinates and use printf() statements to write the .DAT file. This made it a lot easier to define cylinders and arcs, and to create pieces with a lot of symmetry. (Yes, I know I should be using sub-parts, but I’m still getting the hang of it.)

I recently took a fresh look at this code and tried to at least finish coding up a part. Growing tired of the process of switching back-and-forth between my program and (the very awesome) LDView, I added rudimentary graphics to show the general shape of the part on screen as it was being generated. Then it struck me that the program could evolve into an interactive part editor without a whole lot of effort.

So I am wondering if there would be any interest in a program like this, or would I be re-inventing functionality that is already provided somewhere else? For example, I see that one of the tutorials mentions using MLcad to rotate primitives and do some of the other heavy lifting required for authoring parts. I don’t want to spend a lot of time polishing this program for public release unless there is an actual need.