 CAD / 14217
Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 00:51:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.cad, William Howard wrote:
primitives - boxes, cylinders, discs, negative discs etc

Ok, thanks.  When I think of primitives, I usually think of the lowest-level
elements of the underlying graphics package.  In this case, Line, Triangle,
Quadrilateral, and Conditional Line.  I thought things like Cylinder, Box, etc.,
being built up from these native elements were called sub-parts.  Sorry for the
confusion.

In LDraw, everything in the "P" directory is called a primitive.  Many of them
actually are geometric primitives, such as cylinder pieces and disc pieces.
Others aren't, such as the stud primitives.  But they're all referred to as
primitives.  From the standpoint of the file format, there's really nothing
special about them.  They are indeed just sub-files.

However, their standardized presence allows certain programs (such as LDView and
L3P) to recognize certain of them, and behave in special ways.  L3P can replace
cylinder primitives with actual cylinders, for example.  LDView does something
similar, although it still tesselates them into geometry.

--Travis