 CAD / 14214
Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 17:09:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, William Howard wrote:
If the program isn't capable of using primitives, any generated parts
are bound to get "Hold - use more primitives" votes/comments when/if
they are submitted to the Parts Tracker.  So, without support for
primitives, which MLCad and other editing helper applications have, I
would have to question the overal usefulness of such a program

When you say "primitives", do you really mean "sub-parts?"  (Or do I have it
backwards?)

To be clear, I would plan to fully support the use of sub-parts, as well as the
ability to copy/paste portions of pre-existing part definitions.  This feature
would probably have to also bring along any "author" meta-tags to properly
attribute the source of any copied material.

But it sounds like what you are really saying is that MLcad already does this
reasonably well?  I have read that it is possible to directly use primitives in
MLcad, as you would use any "real" part, but I didn't see any tutorials that
talk about how to do this.  And it seems to me that the UI of MLcad (which is my
favorite LDraw modeling program) isn't quite geared toward part creation.  I
would love to be proven wrong...

When you say "other editing helper applications" are you implying that programs
like what I am proposing already exist?  That would certainly save me a lot of
redundant effort.  Can you name a few of these apps so I know where to look?