 CAD / 14224
Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2006 18:10:29 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote: Some features that I could see being useful are:

Google is your friend. Some of these ideas have already been worked on. Make sure to run some searches before re-inventing.

Ah, yes. The answer to every question is “google.” :)

  • Ability to easily overlay a scaled/rotated wire-frame of the part over a scan of the actual part, to verify the proportions and provide “digital caliper” functionality.

  • Ability to define one section of a symmetrical part, and have the program automatically generate the redundant portions at various angles. (I know you can manually do this in MLcad, and that you can mirror a design around the axes, but not so easy for designing a 3-blade propellor, for example.)

Make sure you check out the discussion about mirroring bits without using negative matrices. There were some tools developed and a mirror.ini file but I’m not sure it’s exactly what you’re looking for. At the very least, any mirroring tool should be able to add an entry to the mirror.ini file.

Thanks again! Lots of great info here.

  • Scripted generation of part definitions to simplify iterative design methods.

Make sure to check out the Ldraw Script Compiler and LDS shell first.

Unfortunately, LDS Shell is another one of those broken links. The script compiler looks almost exactly like what I had in mind, though.

   It looks like my project might make a good LDDP plug-in. I’ll consider that as my best option moving forward.

If you make an interactive part editor as an LDDP plug-in, consider also making a simple wrapper program for it so you can run it in stand-alone mode as well.

Definitely. If possible, I would have this all wrapped into a single executable file, but haven’t dug into the LDDP Plug-In SDK far enough to know yet.

Ah! The UPS guy just delivered my NXT. Time to switch contexts from .cad to .robotics for a little while...