 CAD / 14212
  Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

I had in the past tried my hand (somewhat unsuccessfully) at creating some new LDraw parts. I found the tutorials on ldraw.org to be helpful, but I was surprised at how "manual" the process seems to be. (Edit the file in Notepad? Seriously??) Being (...) (18 years ago, 3-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  RE: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

If the program isn't capable of using primitives, any generated parts are bound to get "Hold - use more primitives" votes/comments when/if they are submitted to the Parts Tracker. So, without support for primitives, which MLCad and other editing (...) (18 years ago, 3-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) When you say "primitives", do you really mean "sub-parts?" (Or do I have it backwards?) To be clear, I would plan to fully support the use of sub-parts, as well as the ability to copy/paste portions of pre-existing part definitions. This (...) (18 years ago, 3-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  RE: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

primitives - boxes, cylinders, discs, negative discs etc -----Original Message----- From: news-gateway@lugnet.com [mailto:news-gateway...ugnet.com] On Behalf Of Chris Phillips Sent: 03 December 2006 17:10 To: lugnet.cad@lugnet.com Subject: Re: Any (...) (18 years ago, 3-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) Ok, thanks. When I think of primitives, I usually think of the lowest-level elements of the underlying graphics package. In this case, Line, Triangle, Quadrilateral, and Conditional Line. I thought things like Cylinder, Box, etc., being built (...) (18 years ago, 3-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) In LDraw, everything in the "P" directory is called a primitive. Many of them actually are geometric primitives, such as cylinder pieces and disc pieces. Others aren't, such as the stud primitives. But they're all referred to as primitives. (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) This question comes up every so often, and I always like to (URL) point out> Paul Easter's (URL) utilities page>. It's got several nice utility programs and parts, and is loaded with great ideas on how to make the most of your screen real (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) Thanks for that link! Very helpful for me, especially since many of the links to tools (both here in .cad and on ldraw.org) appear to be broken. (...) I am all for saving myself a lot of unneccesary effort, and I think that the existing tools (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

In lugnet.cad, Chris Phillips wrote: Some features that I could see being useful are: Google is your friend. Some of these ideas have already been worked on. Make sure to run some searches before re-inventing. (...) Make sure you check out the (URL) (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) Ah, yes. The answer to every question is "google." :) (...) Thanks again! Lots of great info here. (...) Unfortunately, (URL) LDS Shell> is another one of those broken links. The script compiler looks almost exactly like what I had in mind, (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

I have a plugin for SketchUp that can create LDraw parts. It can use LDraw primitives and sub-parts, scale, move, and rotate them, and export a .dat file. Here's a page with some models I have imported: (URL) the page for the plugin, with some (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) LDSSHELL (which I wrote) is only a visual shell, with a rudimentary LDRAW viewer, to the LDS program by Tore Eriksson which is the scripting engine (still maintained). Both can be found from his pages: (URL) links: (URL) miss the LDS syntax (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Any Interest in a Program for Creating/Editing Parts?

(...) Thanks for the updated links! The page listed in the earlier post appears to be out of date. (It has version 031 of LDS, and a broken link to your page.) It seems that there is a lot of great software already out there, which is not (...) (18 years ago, 4-Dec-06, to lugnet.cad)