 CAD / 14012
Re: Hangin' around
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 16 Aug 2006 19:45:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Well, both of the pictures show the typical JPEG artifacts (especially b),
which IMO are so detrimental for all pictures containing high frequencies
(=sharp edges). PNG is lossless, and doesn't generate anything like that. I
know what I would use...

I agree (mostly), which is why LDView doesn't support JPEG snapshots, even with
color subsampling disabled.  Implementing JPEG support would be fairly easy, but
I've always felt that it wasn't appropriate.  Having said that, I don't
personally see the JPEG artifacts in the left image from typical viewing
distance on my 20" LCD screen running at 1600x1200 (i.e. approx 100DPI @
24"/60cm distance).

JPEG is (maybe?) good for continous color changes, ie photos.

JPEG works really well on photos, actually.  Most people would be very
hard-pressed to tell the difference between a high-quality JPEG image of a photo
and a PNG version of the same picture, even with the two images side-by-side.

--Travis