 CAD / 12830
Re: Using stickers on LDraw models
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 2005 22:24:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Niels Karsdorp wrote:
> What happens in your test, when you add one tile and the sticker into a subfile
> and leave the other tile as a seperate part. The sticker is thus partially
> attached to the tile in the same subfile?

Here is some ASCII art of the two tiles and the sticker seen from the side:
.SSSSSSSS.
AAAAABBBBB

The correct result is:
..SSSSSS..
.AAA..BBB.

I got this by grouping all three parts:
..SSSSSS..
.AAAABBBB.

So, the answer to your question is:
..SSSSSS..
.AAAA.....

I realize grouping is not the way to go.
It does solve the problem with the floating sticker,
but only works if the part and sticker are the same size.

Please read http://www.hassings.dk/l3/l3p_sw.html

> If a new sticker metacommand is introduced is it possible to
> stretch the thickness of the stickers to fill in the seam between
> the sticker and the bricks behind it?

Well, maybe there isn't a gap at all!

If you are using the -lgeo option, you may be lucky that the bricks behind
have LGEO equivalents, and these are not shrunk...

OK, here is what I'll do:
As Orion suggested in another (later) posting in this thread
L3P is able to identify a sticker.

If you are not using the -lgeo option I will add a "translate <0,-SW,0>"
before the usual matrix statements when referencing a sticker.
This will move the sticker to the surface of the bricks behind it.

The sticker will be shrunk in two dimensions only, i.e. not the thickness.

For this to work all stickers must comply to the
"LDraw Official Library Standard for Sticker Parts" at ldraw.org
http://www.ldraw.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=339
/Lars