 CAD / 12543
Re: Some comments on the LPub 2.2.0.9 beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 4 Apr 2005 12:56:26 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Andreas Maier wrote:
Kevin,
here are some comments on the LPub 2.2.0.9 beta.  Some
may also be valid for the 2.2.0.2 version but I observed
all of them in the 2.2.0.9 beta version ....

<snip>

    c) I think a statement would be helpful explaining
       that in the case of .MPD files, the "complete
       model" is the first model in the .MPD file, and
       the "sub-models" are those models in the .MPD
       file that are used by the first model either
       directly or indirectly through other sub-models.
       After all, the .MPD file could contain sub-models
       that are not used by the first model, and they
       would be ignored by LPub (hopefully ?)

I reread the MPD file format specification, and it says:

"When an MPD file is used to store a multi-file model, the first file in the MPD
is treated as the 'main model' -- all other files in the MPD will only be
rendered if they are referenced by the main model, directly or indirectly."

Given this statement, then I would say that any program that creates an MPD with
the top level model that is not the first file, is creating an invalid MPD file.

I'm not opposed to adding a comment like this, but it doesn't help solve the
root problem.

I've run into reasons why you might want more than one top level models:  the
complete model, and the model that should be used for building instructions.  I
plan to let the user select any file from the MPD as the top level model.  I may
even add meta-commands so that you can tell LPub which models are which.

Kevin