 CAD / 12522
12521  |  12523
Subject:
Some comments on the LPub 2.2.0.9 beta
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 11:46:59 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Andreas Maier wrote:

<snip>

5.  Calculating the max camera distance (Utilities menu)

    a) The camera viewing angle should have an effect on
       the required minimum distance, but the menu entry
       comes up with always the same distance regardless
       of the angle.  The viewing angle does have an
       effect on the size of the generated images,
       though.

Max camera distance only calculates max camera distance for building instruction
steps, not single image.    Single image is the only one affected by view angle,
because rotation steps are used to affect building instructions.  Therefore view
angle should not affect max camera distance.

I don't understand how what you say relates to what I
had in mind.  Are we maybe talking about a different
"camera viewing angle" ?  I was using the word for the
angle that has its center at the camera and looks
towards the object.  Are you possibly talking about the
camera positioning angle as in globe coordinates ?  If
so, I can understand your comment better, but the
rotations are a second order effect compared to the
camera viewing angle, IMHO.

My understanding is that the "Angle" setting in the
Scale group, and the "Camera Angle" in the L3P Lens
group, is this camera viewing angle I was talking about
(at least for non-orthographic mode).  True ?

When I change the camera viewing angle and keep
dimensions and distance the same, the size of the
objects (e.g. measured in pixels) does change.  I have
attached Comment5.zip, which contains images with 1 and
4 degrees camera viewing angle.  For the whole model,
the CSI and the PLI/BOM images, they show that with a
larger viewing angle, the object gets smaller.

When I generaly think about the problem of how width and
height of the image, camera viewing angle, and viewing
distance work together, I also come to the conclusion
that a larger viewing angle at the same distance covers
a larger real area, that when fit onto the same pixel
dimensions, results in a smaller object within that
area. This is just what happens in photography.

Based upon that, I made my comment that the calculation
of the required minimum distance should be affected by
the camera viewing angle, but it does not seem to be,
currently.

8.  Configuration panel structure

    I see some inconsistencies in the current dialog
    design and in some cases I had to apply trial&error
    to find out what a particular setting controls.
    Some examples are:

    - The "Sub-assembly" checkmark seems to control
      whether or not the sub-models are generated for
      both CSIs and PLIs, but it does not say so

It is pretty hard to pack that into the name and have the GUI be somewhat
compact.  Maybe I'll add it as a hint.

- How do the L3P settings for Position/Orientation
  and Lens correspond to the "Scale" settings in the
  "General" sub-tab ?

I very much appreciate the feedback on organizing the GUI.  WHen better
organized this will become clear.

The bulk of the L3P settings only apply to single image.

- Do the L3P settings for Background control CSI,
  PLI/BOM part images or none of them ?

None.

In general I'm trying to move controls that affect building instructions into
meta-commands, so that these things can be modified during instruction step
image generation time.

I think that is a great idea.  However, I believe that
broad usage of them will require support in programs
like MLCAD.  Otherwise it is just too cumbersome.
Therefore, I tend to believe it may take a while until
it becomes common practice to use them.  Therefore, it
would be very helpful to still have these controls in
the LPub configuration dialog.

I would think they should be the defaults that would be
overwritten by meta commands in the model, but then I
can also see use cases where people want to just take a
model and apply their own background, font, etc look and
feel, and control that look and feel from outside of the
model.  That would call for the ability to overwrite the
meta commands by LPub configuration.  I would start with
LPub settings being just the default, and if people ask
for it, you can always add checkmarks that cause the
LPub settings to overwrite the meta commands.

I think it would be helpful for clarity to
restructure the configuration dialog somewhat and
would like to offer the suggestion below.  It is
well possible that I did not understand all the
combinations of the current options, so let me know
if you think something is missing.  The guiding
principle for the suggestion was to be clear about
which production is being influenced by a setting.

I agree totally.

Also, I think it would be helpful to move from the
various "Generate" menu entries to just one
"Generate" menu action, and the configuration panels
control what is generated.  The suggestion allows to
do that.

1-Tab "Images"

  2-Tab "Complete Model"

    checkmark to generate Complete Model
      - rest of dialog greyed out if disabled
    "Scale" group as in current "Global" tab
    "Camera Globe Coordinates" group (for CSI) as in
      current "PLI/BOM" tab
      - maybe some more controls needed, like "XYZ"
        or "Look At" from current L3P "Position and
        Orientation" group, but I personally would
        be happy with just globe coordinates.

This is where the bulk of the L#P controls will go.

"Background" group as currently in L3P
  "Surroundings" tab
  - plus checkmark for transparent background

Can We just leave this as meta-commands within the file?

See my comment above.  Since MLCAD does not support them
(except of course as comments, but that is pretty
manual) I find it harder to add the meta commands,
compared to using the LPub configuration dialog.

  "Floor" group as currently in L3Pub
    "Surroundings" tab

2-Tab "CSI"

Construction Step Images?

Yes.

checkmark to generate CSIs
    - rest of dialog greyed out if disabled
checkmark "to generate CSIs of sub-models
"Scale" group as in current "Global" tab
"Camera Globe Coordinates" group (for CSI) as in
  current "PLI/BOM" tab
  - maybe some more controls needed, like "XYZ"
    or "Look At" from current L3P "Position and
    Orientation" group, but I personally would
    be happy with just globe coordinates.

These would be the default, which is modified by ROTSTEPS.  IMHO, it should be
the same as MLCad's.  Maybe I should read it out of MLCad.ini?

Yes, it would be the starting position for stuff outside
of relative and absolute ROTSTEPs (i.e. additive
ROTSTEPs would also depend on it for stuff inside of the
ROTSTEP).

MLCad.ini provides a global definition that is not model
specific.  What I would like the best if you want to go
there, is an "import" of MLCad.ini that sets the camera
position and orientation settings as defined there.
That way, it becomes clear to the user where the setting
comes from and what he gets.  I would like this much
better compared to reading the MLCad.ini silently, and
not providing the respective fields in the LPub
configuration.

I would like it even better if MLCAD was honoring a LPub
meta command in the model that defines the camera
position and orientation.  After all, it is a model
thing and not an installation wide thing.

"Previous Step Color Scaling" group as in
  current "Global" tab
"Backgrounds & Fonts" group with contents of
  current "SubModels" tab
  - plus checkmark for transparent background
  - the dialog may become a bit long with this
    one, so (less ideally), this one could be
    moved to a second CSIs tab.  Or maybe
    introduce sub-tabs under CSI, to show that
    it belongs together.

Backgrounds are under meta-command control. I want font controls under
meta-command control.

See my comment above about broad acceptance of meta commands.

2-Tab "PLI/BOM"

  checkmark to generate PLIs
  checkmark to generate BOMs
    - rest of dialog greyed out if both are
      disabled
  checkmark "to generate PLIs of sub-models

I think that the CSI and PLI/BOM processes are more tightly coupled than your
proposed GUI would indicate.  When would you want to recurse for CSI, but not
for PLI/BOM?

Thanks for saying that.  I was about to propose to have
only one checkmark to include submodels (or maybe even
none), but the current GUI with its two checkmarks lead
me to propose again multiples (in this case, three).

After some more investigation on how the current two
checkmarks work, at least for images ("Sub Assemblies"
controls CSI and PLI/BOM images, "Sub-model BOM"
controls whether a BOM image gets created from the
PLI/BOM images), I think this is just what one needs.

The question is how to organize it.  In my GUI proposal,
the current "Sub Assemblies" checkmark would then not
really be local to the "CSI" sub-tab, because it
controls stuff beyond the scope of just the CSI.  Maybe
the control over what gets created (not just the
sub-model checkmarks but all of them), again should be
moved together to one "Generation" 1-tab.

checkmark "to generate BOMs of sub-models
"Scale" group as in current "Global" tab

One of the big problems people always have is getting consistant scale between
the CSI and PLIs.  I packed them together so that people could see the
relationship.  With your proposal the two controls are not even visible at the
same time.

That is a good motivation, and I agree that my proposal
does not provide such a good answer.  I don't know at
the moment how to achieve both clarity of what ets
controlled, and good comparison overview between the
different image types, at the same time.  Except of
course with one pretty large dialog, i.e. without tabs.
Or maybe, if I think about it, the 1-Tab level in my
proposal could still be there, but all the tabs below
that would be "flattened".

"Camera Globe Coordinates" group (for CSI) as in
  current "PLI/BOM" tab
"Background & Fonts" group with contents of
  current "Surroundings" group in "PLI/BOM" tab
    - plus checkmark for transparent background

Background is controlled by meta-commands.

See my comment above about broad acceptance of meta commands.

  "PLI Content" group as in current "PLI/BOM" tab

2-Tab "Renderer"

  As currently, but several of the current L3P
  settings could be removed ("Position and
  Orientation", "Lens", "Background" and "Floor"
  groups), since they are now controlled by the
  respective settings in the image specific
  sub-tabs.  The "Dimensions" group in the
  POVOutput sub-tab could also be removed for the
  same reason.

These would be on the Complete Model tab.

Yes, exactly.

I do realize that the nesting level of tabs
would be quite large that way (four in the L3P
case).  So maybe "Renderer" moves up one level
again (to where it is currently), but that would
be less ideal.

I think that Renderer belongs at 2-Tab under images, where you put it, and
should only contains things that are global to all three Image types.

Agree.

1-Tab "Web Pages"

  checkmark to generate Layout Images
    - I tend to believe they would only be generated
      for web pages but I may be wrong (in which
      case they belong under the new "Images" tab).

They belong under the Images tab.

Agree, that is better.

checkmark to generate Screen Web Pages
checkmark to generate Web Page Table
URL field
- I think some control over the position of the
  PLI within the Layout Image would be good.
  Curently it is always Top-Left, but some of my
  models are viewed so that they extend from
  top-left to bottom-right, so it tends to
  overlap.

You have complete control over placement of PLI in layout using meta-commands.

The configuration dialog could again provide a means to
define the default.  Right now, the default is hard
coded.

1-Tab "Miscellaneous"

  Contents as the current "Building Instructions" /
  "Controls" sub-tab.  That one has partially pretty
  global stuff in it, which motivated me to have it
  at the top level.  Maybe some of its checkmarks
  should stay somewhere under the "Images" Tab.

I agree with moving global stuff to 1-Tab "Misc".  That that is specific to
building instruction images should go on 2-Tab "CSI".

Ok.

11. At some point in the sequence of steps within a
    sub-model, the generated CSIs have only the greyed
    out color of previous parts.  In the cases I have,
    it always starts with the first step after any
    rotation step, until the end of that sub-model.  Let
    me know if you want to have an example.

I thought I had all this figured out in the beta.  Please send an example.

I have attached Comment11.zip.  Steps 3 to 5 show the
added parts greyed out.

13. Both the CSIs and the Part Images now come with
    transparent background, i.e. the background settings
    are all ignored.  I think the control of the
    background settings should allow to set transparent
    background (see my proposal above), and whatever was
    set should be honored.

As we've discussed, background settings only affect Complete Assembly (trying to
mimic L3PAO.  I'd prefer it all be done inside the model with meta-commands.

As stated above, I think it is important that programs
like MLCAD support these meta commands, because they can
show what the effects are and you could get pretty close
to WYSIWIG.  As long as they are treated as comments by
these programs, I think people would be having a hard
time to add them manually.  Just to get the syntax right:
You add them in MLCAD because this is where you have the
editing capaility and also you are in the right context
as far as viewing your model is concerned.  But there is
no syntax or other validity checking, so that comes only
when LPub is run later.  The cycle to switch between
MLCAD and LPub is too complicated, especially since the
meta commands come with a certain level of complexity
(e.g. global vs. local). I believe a certain number of things
would need to be controlled by the LPub configuration.

Another thought comes up.  What if LPub was able to load
and save settings from and to the model, using meta
commands (for those settings that can be controlled from
both) ?

There is a dilema.

Orignally I added all the L3P controls to try to provide what L3PAO has, and L3P
supports.

A second use has now become apparent. Alternate rendering for the whole model
image generally created by the CSI process.  This can give you more than the
default lights and alternate view angle.

As I understand it, that also is an argument for leaving
some controls in the LPub configuration instead of
reyling only on meta commands.  I was referring above to
"look and feel" settings, like background, floor, font,
and maybe some more.  I believe this is true especially
for those.  Probably also for camera orientation and
position, and lights, and the controls for rendering
quality.  Maybe loading and saving from the model as
indicated above, is the answer.

It is very hard to do the right thing between allowing
all this control, and still keeping it easy to
understand.

14. The "Progress Status" window is modal (the main
    window cannot be operated as long as the status
    window is open), but the main window can be brought
    into the foreground, which hides the status window.
    If the main window then is minimized, the status
    windoiw is minimized too, and if the main window is
    restored again, the status window is still behind
    it.  It would be nice if the status window were to
    stay on top of the main window.

The status dialog is supposed to always be on top (is supposed to be modal).  If
it does not do this, I'll have to dig into parts of C++ Builder I don't know.
Could you explain how this happens to you, because I've never had it happen to
me.

Here is how it is reproducable for me (Win XP):
  - Have LPub generate Instruction Images so that the
    Status window is there for a while. This will show
    the Status window active on top of the LPub window.
  - Click on the title bar of the LPub window. This will
    make the LPub window active and also brings it into the
    foreground. The Status window is now in the background.
Going beyond that:
  - Minimize the LPub window using the minimize button
    in the title bar.  This also minimizes the Status
    window
  - Restore the LPub window from the task bar of
    Windows.  This will show them as before minimizing,
    i.e. the Status window is still behind the LPub
    window.
  - The only way to get out of this is to move the LPub
    window so that the Status window becomes visible,
    and to activate the Status window.

15. The "Cancel" button in the rogress Status window
    does not always see to work.  I do realize that
    sometimes it waits for the rendering to complete the
    current picture, but sometimes it ignores the
    cancellation even beyond that.

I've never had it fail me, but it can take longer than just the rendering.  If
you can come up with timing or procedure to repeat, I can shoot this.

Sorry for the quite sparse description.  I will monitor
it and provide test cases.