 CAD / 12327
Re: Two queries: How-to for loco wheels and which app did this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 18:07:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Samarth Moray wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Sebastian Dyson wrote:
   This may sound stupid, but what does one use to hold the wheels in place?

LOL, this makes me wonder if you’ve even seen a lego train :-P

No, I think he means how do you hold the wheels in place when you have taken them out of the holder.

One of the most common techniques as I understand it is to use this piece:

You route the axle through the groove and then embed it inside other pieces. If that is not clear, I think Chris Masi has posted some pics of how he did it. I think John Neal has too.

As for how to model the axle itself when LDrawing,(1) take a look at part 2878c01.dat and you’ll see it’s composed of 2878 and 2879c01.dat which is a pair of wheels on the steel axle. (I can’t embed the images for those via FTX since they’re shortcuts not raw parts, and thus LUGNET doesn’t have the images, I assume)

So... just use 2879c01.dat ... That should do the trick for you. Hope that helps.

1 - insert “LOL, this makes me wonder if you’ve ever looked at an LDraw subassembly” here, except that I don’t think that’s an appropriate comment when trying to be helpful...