 CAD / 12324
Re: Two queries: How-to for loco wheels and which app did this?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sun, 26 Dec 2004 15:09:15 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Samarth Moray wrote:
someone else said:
My second question is hopefully a bit simpler. While looking at jamathis'
(rather good) work, I saw this:
What rendering program was used to produce the outline effect? Overall it looks
rather clean, and I quite like the style.

Me too, and I've been wondering the same for a long time. It looks more like
lego's own BI, rahter than the 'computer-POVray generated perfection' one
commonly finds.

I think that's done with edge detection in POV or MegaPOV but I'm not sure. You
could always ask him (or any other author of images you like).

The problem I have with that approach is that parts of the same color blend
together. take a look at the side of the truck, all the stacked black plates
have blended together into a single non existant part that surrounds the one
gray one, and on top, the two 2x2 gray tiles with center top pin have blurred
into one as well.

I think James has switched to a different technique, not sure.

I use LDLite instead, with fat edge lines, and then reduce the images to get the
effect I want.

see for example here:

http://www.miltontrainworks.com/item_info_4001.html#MTW-4001-sky
specifically this image
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/images/diner_instr_image.jpg

I've subsequently fattened things up even more... for example here
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/item_info_5001.html#MTW-5001-yg
specifically this image
http://www.miltontrainworks.com/images/BigGreenTractorsInstrImg1.jpg

Note that I now deliberately keep shading OFF, as I think it gets closer to the
LEGO look, even though they did use shading in theirs.