 CAD / 1114
Re: Modeling the magnifying glass in POV-Ray
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 08:54:06 GMT

"Tim McSweeney" <tim##NO_SPAM##@ams.co.nz> writes:

It's a cool idea, quite a cute effect.   Is there some advantage to using
the clipped spheres as opposed to a straight intersection?

Duh, probably not!  I'm new to POV-Ray, so I just used the first
technique I could find suitable...

Intersections looks a lot more simple.  Thanks for the input.

By the way, the scene gets even more cute by adding reflections to the
surface of the magnifying glass!  I used these imperatives:

--begin--
  intersection{
    sphere {<-40,0,0>, 50 }
    sphere {<40,0,0>, 50 }
    pigment{rgb <1,1,1> filter 1}
    finish {refraction 1 ior 1.15 phong 0.5 phong_size 40 reflection 0.08}}
--end--

Which produced the result:

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/formel/formel-test.jpg

(Only 18Kb)

Of course, the magnitude of the reflection can be lowered.  I simply
used Lars C. Hassing's default settings from L3P.

Now imagine a scene in which a minifig is holding a properly modeled
magnifying glass which magnifies a part of the model, like, say, a map
or an instrument panel.  Who'll be the first to make something like
that?  It would most surely be very cute.

Fredrik