 CAD / 10937
Re: *** LDView Version 2.1 Released ***
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:02:22 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Don Heyse wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Travis Cobbs wrote:
LDView version 2.1 is now available,
This version is Windows-only.  Despite appearances to the contrary,
the QT-based Linux version will be updated in the future.

Are you looking for help with that?

Sure.  That would be spectacular.  For the most part, all the Linux-specific
stuff is in the QT directory (I try to keep all the common code cross-platform,
but I'm sure there are problems caused by me not actually having compiled in
Linux lately).  Due to the way I have it set up, I can't really give anyone
access to my CVS source repository, but I have no problem incorporating any
changes that are sent back to me into the official source distribution.

I have a Linux partition on my machine, but I haven't re-activated the boot-time
chooser since installing Windows XP on my machine (over 6 months ago).  If you
(or anyone else) are interested in adding the new features to the Linux version,
give me a holler, and I should be able to provide instructions on how to get
started.  For the most part, it involves updating the preferences UI to give the
user access to the new settings.

I believe that the current state of the Linux port is such that it would be
fairly easy to get it to compile without having support for any of the new
features.  Once it compiles again, it's just a matter of adding that support to
bring it up-to-date.

The Preference Sets settings page is a little different, as the underlying
setting saving and restoring mechanism doesn't currently have the required
functionality to implement this on the non-Windows side.  So to add support for
this, my TCUserDefaults class would have to be updated in the #ifdef QT portions
to handle the extra functionality (I use QT's setting saving and restoring
functionality in the QT/Linux port).  I actually don't know for a fact that it
can be implemented via the QT settings stuff, but I would assume that it
probably can.  As a practical matter, I think the amount of effort required for
this feature (both on the back end and in the UI) is such that it would be
advisable to hold off on it until everything else is working.

--Travis