 CAD / 10496
Re: Putting images on tiles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2003 05:30:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Daniel Collis wrote:
Hi all. I'm working on a gallery for a friend of mine. I have the building
created. I'm trying to figure out how to put here photographs onto a tile so
that it looks like the photo is part of the "original" piece (when it's just
created in the virtual world.) Any ideas/suggestions? It needs to be a clear
enough image so that it can be easily recognized after rendering in POV-Ray. My
goal is to get every thing together and then render specific views facing where
the pictures are as if a mini-fig was viewing them. The final result will be the
images used in a simple version of her photographic portfolio.

Many thanks in advance.
-Dan

Although BMP2DAT is certainly a viable approach, if what you want to do is put
images on things that are just going to be POV'ed anyway and it's OK that the
image not show up in LDraw based tools at all, you may be farther ahead using
image mapping of the image (.jpg or whatever) onto a POV surface, as in my view
you are not limited in resolution the way you are in BMP2DAT (which works by
creating lots and lots of tiny rectangles)

I asked about the mapping of images onto POV surfaces a while back myself and
this thread ought to get you started digging around in the right place

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=971

This thread also may be of some help

http://news.lugnet.com/cad/ray/?n=366

Good luck whichever way you go.

A sample image_map can be seen in the Skyline Chili render at the
http://www.miltontrainworks.com site

Another one can be seen on the nose of the Santa Fe doodlebug in the MTW poster
here http://www.digitalbricks.nl/mocposters.html