 CAD / 10107
Re: CAD/CAM/CGI magazine articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 20:58:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky writes:
The Robert McNeel and Associates  also claim that TLC uses their product
Rhino ( http://www.rhino3d.com ), thought thay don't specify how TLC uses
it. I would speculate it is for part design

I'll email my contacts with McNeel (OCC was/is considering adding Rhino to our
curriculum) and see if they know exactly how TLC uses Rhino. Sometimes software
firms will say, "our product is used by ___" and it turns out the company has
two or three seats..

I have a feeling that TLC uses a bunch of different formats, but who knows?
Even if they did, somewhere, have all the parts in one digital format, I still
don't think they'd just release them to the world. Maybe I'm misunderstanding
your point here?

Rhino is cheap and powerful (Heck, I use it for part design).  This would
mean thay have most,if not all, the files in 3DM format, which is open
source (http://www.opennurbs.com )

-Orion

Rhino is a great product! Cheap (demo 25 save version is FREE). The interface
is very AutoCAD-like, so people coming from that background are instantly
comfortable. But it's a much easier program for making surface models than say,
3DStudio is. Rendering isn't quite as strong, but since it saves to a variety
of formats you can easily port it to a different renderer..

Rhino has a strong hold on the Naval Architecture market (all organic curves)
as well as the jewelry market (ditto). I know there are stations at Frank
Gehry's office, which is a compliment since the other software they use is
CATIA. At the last Rhino class I attended, the majority of the students were
designers from (whispering) Mattel. They were using it for conceptual
design only - the Rhino and formZ models were then sent to Engineers in
the Orient for conversion into CAM-ready models. Ever sat in a room for eight
hours with toy designers? Wow.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if I was modelling Bionicle parts for a
rendering, I'd work in Rhino. But I don't think TLC is using it to prep for
CAM; the other stuff they use can do it just as well if not better.

Or, I could be wrong. YMMV }^)

Darrell