 CAD / 10098
10097  |  10099
Subject:
CAD/CAM/CGI magazine articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Wed, 21 May 2003 19:24:18 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hello all,

I was speaking with Tim Courtney about SIGGRAPH and mentioned a couple of
magazine articles I had that I thought AFOL should be aware of. Please
disregard this if it's already been posted (I tried a search with no luck, so
here goes!)

In the February 2001 issue of Desktop Engineering, there was an article called
"CAD/CAM in Toyland" that outlines LEGO's use of Unigraphics based CAD
software. This may not be entirely true today, but it's interesting reading
anyway.

To read this article online, go to:

http://www.deskeng.com/articles/01/feb/feature/

And scroll down to the article. Keep in mind it was written two
years ago; CAD/CAM has gotten even more sophisticated since then.

[soapbox]This is why it would be really great if LDraw could work
better with "professional" CAD products.[/soapbox]

The other article that I think would be of interest to AFOL (and Bionicle fans
in particular) was in Computer Arts magazine's Winter 2001 issue. It profiles
the Danish CGI firm Ghost (Principal: Jeppe Christensen - a former LEGO
employee! Producer: Jesper Rasmussen). They did the boxart and animations for
Bionicle, Roboriders, etc. using Maya and Photoshop.

[beatdeadhorse]Wouldn't it be great if you could use Maya to
make LDraw parts?[/beatdeadhorse] ;^)

Unfortunately there's no link to this article online, but you could try to
order the issue from:

www.computerarts.co.uk

Or try searching a library or eBay. Nice article on LEGO as a client and the
development of Bionicle animations. Computer Arts has really been helpful to me
over the years, both in learning CG software and in teaching my CAD class (the
Editor is very teacher-friendly). It's a bit pricey in the US, though - better
to subscribe!

If you'd like to see Ghost's showreel, go to:

www.ghost.dk

Or, if you're in the San Diego area, you may be able to meet them at SIGGRAPH.

Hope this is of interest to somebody!

Darrell