 CAD / 10106
Re: CAD/CAM/CGI magazine articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 20:18:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jason S. Mantor writes:
Neat stuff.  I was curious if one could infer what TLC's internal data
formats might be with this info from the Dekstop Engineering article.
The link to Unigraphics gets redirected to EDS. It seems they were
acquired since the article was written.

Yes, the history of the CAD industry (like the CG industry) reads like the
first verses of Genesis.. "And ____ begat ____" It's hard to figure out which
software belongs to which company (or which software is using which modelling
engine) without a scorecard.

As far as common part files for CAM, I asked Jake about this when LXF was first
announced - he had made a comment about the "many different file formats for
CAD, Animation, Graphics, etc." that had to be consulted when they were making
LXF parts.

That to me sounded like there was either a common file format being used, or
that someone's written a nifty converter for in-house LEGO use. But Jake didn't
volunteer anything.. :(

Of course there could be armies of LEGO code writers who are tediously making
LXF parts from scratch. Or there could be some other explanation that's not
being made public for whatever reason.

Darrell