 CAD / 10101
Re: CAD/CAM/CGI magazine articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2003 02:01:53 GMT

OK more info and guesses. They, EDS, have a page where Jaguar used the
same software to design the new hood ornaments.

http://www.eds.com/products/plm/success/imageware/jaguar.shtml

When they were all done, they converted the surface representations into
polys and exported them from Imageware as an .stl file.

Since alot of CAM systems use STL and the TLC article says they use CAM
to create molds and tooling, it seems reasonable that they would do the
same.

That may mean that there are bunches of STL files for LEGO(TM) parts
just waiting to be used : )  STL is a very simple file format and it's
trivial to convert the face data to LDRAW triangles & quads, so maybe
we'll see new parts being submitted by TLC !  One could also guess that
the file format for the previously announced Digital Designer(TM)
software will a simple polygonal scheme, making conversions easy to do...

-JSM