 Boats / 451
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 16:10:04 GMT

In lugnet.boats, Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:

While on one side I'd say that you're right here, on the other hand some things
in proper proportions can get a point across much better.

If you've ever seen a real terminal, you'll know it's really overwhelming.

I have, both from the air, and up close, (and in articles in TRAINS) and I
agree.

think using 4*6 or 4*8 containers and a crane like LEGO's 4555 doesn't manage to
give you the same feeling. The above crane (by Ludger Havighorst) did manage to
do that. Plus it's motorized ;) It's still not really to scale, but against a
minifig it does look much more realistic.
BTW the containers are 7-wide, and use some clever building techniques

Those containers are gorgeous, as is Mark's 8wide. That's not what I'm debating.
I just don't have enough brick(1) to do very many of them and I'd rather go for
a huge pile of smaller containers that I CAN do, and 2 or 3 ships instead of
just one big one.

Hopefully the effect of bustle and busyness would still come through.

Hopefully this is helping people think about the issue, there is no "right"
answer.

1 - if you look at the construction details (the ldr file shows how terrifically
clever the build is) you'll see that this container consumes mass quantities of
parts that are rarer than the 2x4 brick.