 Boats / 452
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 21 May 2004 02:07:40 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Those containers are gorgeous, as is Mark's 8wide. That's not what I'm
debating. I just don't have enough brick(1) to do very many of them and
I'd rather go for a huge pile of smaller containers that I CAN do, and 2
or 3 ships instead of just one big one.

From my model railroading I know all about selective compressing and there's
usually a certain breaking point where it looses it's effect and becomes
silly. IMHO the 4-w container is at least close to that if you use it
together with minifigs and 6-w trains/4-w cars (let alone wider)

Now I know LEGO is not a true to scale thing but some logic is needed to
give it a "could be real" feeling.

Hopefully the effect of bustle and busyness would still come through.

If that's your goal I'd keep minifigs away from the yard and keep the trucks
4-wide as well or it'll show real quick.

Hopefully this is helping people think about the issue, there is no
"right" answer.

True. It's a matter of what you find more important, immersion because of
quantity or quality (not that I'm knocking down the 4-w container, but you
trade in realism for amount)

1 - if you look at the construction details (the ldr file shows how
terrifically clever the build is) you'll see that this container consumes
mass quantities of parts that are rarer than the 2x4 brick.

I know, I built one for Luigi for 1000steineland ;) Although you can save
quite a bit of parts if you think it over.
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/brickpiles/
Brick Piles          | Santa Fe B-unit