 Boats / 448
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 14:35:24 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:

That container's 8 wide! I prefer my scenes more packed with detail rather
than doing one 10 foot long ship so that I can fit my to scale containers on.
(and, arguably, 10 foot is too short if you want 6000 TEU worth of containers
on it).

Absolute to scale realism is for scale models. This is a toy. I want to evoke
a scene, not get the rivet count right. Think tinplate, not scale.

Where on earth are you going to get space to show a 10 foot long ship, in
context with several others, and with containre cranes busily unloading, as
just PART of an overall layout? In the space you'd spend JUST on your ship, I
can do several, then fit in an engine yard, a farm and maybe a mountain.

Selective compresssion is clearly the way to go here. I'm just myself not
sure if I switch to 6 wide containers or stick with the LEGO standard (1) 4
wide containers... I'll ooh and aah at your models as interesting academic
exercises, but I won't be building 8 wide containers.

While on one side I'd say that you're right here, on the other hand some things
in proper proportions can get a point across much better.

If you've ever seen a real terminal, you'll know it's really overwhelming. I
think using 4*6 or 4*8 containers and a crane like LEGO's 4555 doesn't manage to
give you the same feeling. The above crane (by Ludger Havighorst) did manage to
do that. Plus it's motorized ;) It's still not really to scale, but against a
minifig it does look much more realistic.
BTW the containers are 7-wide, and use some clever building techniques

Jan-Albert van Ree