 Boats / 447
Re: A little math cioncerning ships, containers and Minifigs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 20 May 2004 10:56:38 GMT

In lugnet.lego, Larry Pieniazek wrote:
   In lugnet.lego, Mark Bellis wrote:
   Compare with my 40ft container 40’ x 8’ x 9’6” high:

(snip)

Absolute to scale realism is for scale models. This is a toy. I want to evoke a scene, not get the rivet count right. Think tinplate, not scale.

I agree with Larry here

   Selective compresssion is clearly the way to go here.

Larry introduced me to this term/concept and this is what I had in mind.

The container size is the key. The model seems to have 5 rows of 2-wide containers and you would want 4-wide which IIRC is what the train club container exchange units are (I forget how long 10?). So if you went to 4 rows of four wide with 2 studs on either side for rails, that would be 20 wide or 8 studs wider.

Big consideration in moving to minfig size: Do not make the hull any (or very little) taller.

Consider the bow. since it is 12? wide could the parts from 2 ships be used to make 1 20-wide bow (maybe). Same with the stern.

Lengthening the body is mostly linear if you are not getting taller and 2 kits give you enough if you are not adding much if any height.

The superstructure is the tricky part. You could just make it wider with windows from a second set. The windows in the control tower seem to be train window size ??. you might be able to add a row or tow of bricks above or below the windows as long as the windows started at minifig waste level or below

You might run out of deck plating if you added too much length. But you could add plates from your collection or switch out for a differnet color (cover the whole deck with brown tiles!)

The stickers could be scaned and magnified.

Obviously any interior structure bricks could come from any where and be any color.

I think that it may be possible to “upgrade” with just 2 sets. and then you could use club containers.

Suggestion: ldraw.org couls sponser a contest for the best minifig adaptation

Lester