 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 384
  New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

Hi folks, I delurked on .space a while ago, but I'll say a quick hello to everyone else! I've been thinking about building large scale Lego trains for a while, but I've only recently sorted my sets and been able to start building. Here's the first, (...) (22 years ago, 28-Jul-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.modelteam) !!

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) Oooh.. nice. Very nice. Highlighted! J2 should like this lots and lots. I bet one of his 14 wide cars would not look too bad behind it at all. (22 years ago, 28-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

Will, Looks Great! I would like to see more large scale trains on lugnet. Gary Simas My brickshelf pictures (no trains yet) (URL) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.modelteam)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) I do, I do! Very nice work, Will! What is nice about modeling a 14 wide (is that right?) Shay is that since it is a narrow gauge loco, it fits perfectly on LEGO track (although the LEGO wheels are a bit small for scale). My 14 wides utilized G (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) Hi Will, that model is really stunning! Just x-posted it to 1000steine.de. Regards, Ben (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

Anyone have anything to hold my jaw up!? That is AMAZING! Any plans for log cars? Josh (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) Thanks. The gallery has just been moderated so you can see the rest of the pictures now. Including the 'wrong' side, which is very rarely pictured in real Shays (it's just not as cool) and so quite possibly totally wrong. (...) They'd dwarf my (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

Thanks for the kind words! (...) Only in the sense of "I fancy making some log cars", no designs or anything. I can see at least two issues with this: * I don't have anything like enough brown to make logs, so the load'll probably be real wood. * (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) Thanks! It's predominately 12-wide, going to about 14-wide over the cab steps, windowsills, and cylinders. Scarily, I started with the same trucks and an 8-wide chassis. I rebuilt this to 10-wide when I thought it looked a bit puny, and ended (...) (22 years ago, 29-Jul-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

First of all i would like to say nice work. As a shay builder also i have a keen interest in what you have done. I know a little about shays, I researched them before I built my engine, and log cars/ log loader. (unfortunatly I don't have pictures (...) (22 years ago, 1-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) Thanks! (...) Cool. I looked at your Shay (Cass #5?) while I was hunting around for both prototype info and prior art. (...) Are there any good WWW resources with more than just a few grainy "piston side" photos of real Shays? I found some (...) (22 years ago, 4-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

(...) It is very hard to get images of shays. Especially on the wrong-side. You can try the cass scenic railroad, but most don't offer much detail. I found a lot of images at (URL) build my shay, i was looking at several pictures in a history of (...) (22 years ago, 5-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: New MOC: Large scale 2-truck Shay

In article <H01579.1Bv@lugnet.com>, "Will Vale" <mwvale@gemsoft.co.uk> wrote: snip (...) First, WOW! Second.... um.... don't put the power clips on a curve. That isn't cheating. You know, sometimes I think it is funny; when people see the awesome (...) (22 years ago, 8-Aug-02, to lugnet.trains)