 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 281
  MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

All: Hello again, I've been busy. Yesterday and today I created two New York City MTA busses. The first is a GMC city bus, with 2 sets of doors (front and rear) and a lower profile. These are used as crosstown locals here in Manhattan. (URL) second (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

Cool, What did you use for the windows? Black Panels? Right now I'm working on a Translink New Flyer D40LF for the VLC layout, it needs some refinement but overall I'm happy with it (It's 6 wide as well). Is your passenger area as detailed as the (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

Sean, Very nice. I like buses (see (URL) and I like your Lego buses. I will build me one of those MCIs. Thank you for sharing. Bob (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Actually, no, the windows are actually open holes... they're framed by 1x1 black bricks on the side, a 1x2 plate on the top, and a 1x2 tile on the bottom. If they look "solid" in the photos, its probably just the lighting. (...) Not yet. Right (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Thanks. Nice photos on "busspot", is that a personal site of yours? Interesting that there's such a heavy collection of New Jersey busses. (I grew up in New Jersey). The photos of New York City busses that I used were from (URL) , if you're (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Hello Sean, You did it. These really look like NYC busses. I have seen many good attempt from people and some not so good ones (from me), but these are great. My only dislike are the 2x3x1 white tall slopes on the front of the MTA bus, I have (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

These are awesome! The 3-high windscreen works much better than anything Lego makes in 2-high. Interesting that you abandoned pre-made window pieces for this. I had considered using a 3x6x1 canopy, SNOTwise, for the front, but couldn't make it (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) I can see how it wouldn't have worked into the design of your bus, but I may be able to use it on mine... hmm! I may try that tonight! Sean --- (URL) Brick Apple - New York City in Lego (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Thanks, glad to hear you liked them. Yeah, I couldn't really find anything I liked for the front window; I think the slope bricks work well on the MCI bus, but not on the GMC. For that, I guess I'd need a windshield that was 3 tall, 6 wide, (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) That's some more voodoo brikin there from you. I was wondering if they were in minifig scale or compatability. I'm planning out a regional transit system based on our own local buses but the width factor (4 minifig butts, aisle and walls) (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) I once saw a bus on a train layout that used the windscreen from the flashspeeder as a front window. It looked pretty good. It was attched in a snot method with the two studs upright facing front. (if that makes sense) (...) umm, after seeing (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Sean, These are beautiful! I especially like the one with all the gray ridged bricks. That one has a great color scheme. I'm not as fond of the color scheme on the other, but I suppose I should take that up with NYC's public transportation (...) (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Sean, Those busses look like the real things! I'd like to see you make the new articulated busses the NYC MTA uses that bend in the middle for easy control in traffic. Keep up the good work! Joe (22 years ago, 5-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) Well, I've noticed that most trucks and busses have a slightly different type of hub on their front wheels. I'm not sure why, perhaps it has to do with steering. (Any die-hard truck guys out there know why?) The hub on rear wheels is usually (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) No, not really. They're mostly built to compare with my 4-wide cars. (I have some taxicabs and other city vehicles.) I'm worried that they'll look out-of-scale with my buildings, since the busses are almost a full baseplate long. (I think (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) If the truck has 'duallies' in back, what is often done is that only one wheel type is used. The wheel is dished so that when two wheels are put back to back, the wheel centers are adjacent (and the plane between the two tyres). Then that's (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) That is true. However, Sean was also right about the steering issue. You want the front wheels to pivot about their centerline, so the steering mechanism must be *inside* the wheel. Go look at your car's front wheels if you don't believe me... (...) (22 years ago, 7-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

(...) That's interesting. After reading this post I was looking at busses all weekend. 3 different bus lines all had the wheel arrangement you describe. Funny how I never noticed that before, but now after this thread I couldn't stop seeing it. (...) (22 years ago, 10-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)

  Re: MOCs: 6-wide New York City busses

Argh! I can't go out on the street without seeing this wheel arrangement now. They're everywhere! It's like an invasion. Bruce (22 years ago, 12-Jun-02, to lugnet.town)