 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2113
  Sheik's Oasis

Hello Everyone, This is my newest creation: (URL) a fortified desert oasis. I've attempted to imbue the entire structure with a pan-Islamic architectural feel. The style is meant to be representative of the broader Muslim age cultures of the Middle (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.announce.moc) !!

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Very nice - definitely not rusty at all! :) Certainly does feel like you're in the Middle East just from looking at its architecture. I rather liked the way you managed to come up with a hookah. If you're going to Brickfest, you should show (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) couches, the arches. My only suggestion would be to add a few more stalls and shops to make a really packed bazaar. Marc Nelson Jr. (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Jon, I absolutely totally love thi! So colorful, so detailed so different! If anything is missing, it seems to me they could use a few building on the inside. Where do they live when they aren't lazing around on those big comfy pillows? Overall (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Magnus, Cool to hear from you, thanks for the compliments. I didn't make many interior buildings because of a tan and white shortage of bricks, that's why I decided on building an Oasis instead of a Fortress or palace, The people come there (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Jon, (...) That seems to make sense. Thanks for the historical info also. What period would this be from? Before, during or after the Crusades? Can you elaborate on what you said about the gates, are the gates on one side of the oasis for entering, (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Looks great! Love the added detail with the hookah's. Not to mention all the other little detailing on the inside. :) Very cool. :) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Hi Jon, Great MOC! I wasn't aware of your brickshelf ID, so I once I saw the pictures I immediately asked who had made it... it's just awesome! The courtyard reminds me of Cordoba's Grat Mosque, in Spain, and also a bit from a Mosque in (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Very nice, Jon! It takes me back to my days in Algeria, Morocco, and southern Spain. And this would be WAY back -- 1977 and 1978, to be exact. I owned exactly four Lego sets at the time. You went a little overboard with the water pipes. :^) (...) (20 years ago, 26-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Pedro, I really don't know how a horseshoe arch could be made, if someone made one, I think I would probably pass out, although I'd admit that I haven't tried that hard to make one. Thanks for your compliments, I appreciate your feedback. Jon (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Thanks John, You are right abut the water pipes, in actuality, if it were a strict Islamic society, They wouldn't be smoking or drinking at all. However, when you are working in stereotypes (like most Lego playsets) you often make (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Well, you are presenting an Islamic Outpost (a small one), probably in the middle of nowhere North Africa. Historically speaking, the use of marijuana was pioneered by the Muslims because of the Quranic rule against drinking alcohol (pot being (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Magnus, I'd put the time period as pre crusade, post Islamic conquest, pre Islamic Schism, although a lot of the architecture is most likely mid crusade (warfare has a nasty habit of pushing technology forward). There are two Gates and two (...) (20 years ago, 27-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Jon, (...) Well the "race" issue rarely comes up for castle theme builders, but I suppose if you are dealing with Middle Eastern castles, theme of crusades, slavery and the like make for a far more ethnically diverse minifig demographic than a (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Hi Jon. Welcome back! It's been too long since we've got a new Obi-Juan MOC. I especially like the details above this gate: (URL) the way you used technic beams to get the patterns in this tower: (URL) your varied torsos--Adventurers' mummy, Ninja (...) (20 years ago, 28-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Jon, Welcome back, and what a re-entrance. This is great, a wonderful use of tan and turbans and scimitars. Thanks, George (20 years ago, 28-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) As Lenny Hoffman pointed out, it depends somewhat on the time period, modern societies being somewhat more interested and capable of policing such behavior than older societies. Still, when I was living in Algeria, fellow expats were offered (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle, FTX)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) <SNIP> Hi Jon, there have been several posts now regarding your newest creation. Just wanted to add my appreciation to all the others. I like very much the Middle East mood you grabbed with this MOC. And there are a lot of nice details which I (...) (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Very nice! But boy - talk about the mind playing tricks on you! I thought your subject line said "SHREK's Oasis." lol I was expecting to see Donkey being annoying as usual. Bob (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Horseshoe arch (was Re: Sheik's Oasis)

In lugnet.castle, Pedro Silva wrote: <SNIP> (...) Hi Pedro, having read your message I did some building. Please read (URL) tell me if this is something you had in mind. Thanks and best regards Daan Bargerbos (20 years ago, 29-Jun-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

Hello Bruce, It's reaaly good to hear from you. Thanks for the compliments. I've missed building, but I definately tried to keep current with the Lugnet happenings. I do have a question about your move to Ozbricks, has that been a good decision long (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) Hi Jon, Ozbricks has been really good to me. For a while they were having problems with their secondary ozbricks.net server, which was up and down, but after my site got moved over to the main ozbricks.com server there has been no problem. (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) I always go for pre fab stuff if I can get it, I think It helps the minifigs look more realistic in the setting. I mean if you've got an articulated Minifig next to a blocky blob of grey bricks, I think it kinda throws the whole look off (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) I do plan on making a microfig city for shots of them approaching the city in the distance. Mostly, though, I'll focus in on a scene fairly close-up, so you just see the immediate surroundings. The biggest I've gone so far is a city street (...) (20 years ago, 1-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) I think you find more people think its Arwen (or Legolas if they like Bashki) ;) Pity, I always liked Glorfindel. Especially as he appears to have been killed in the first age, then came back mid 2nd or 3rd age (depending on what you read), it (...) (20 years ago, 2-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)

  Re: Sheik's Oasis

(...) D'oh! In my defense, that was one of the scenes from the movie that I tried very hard to forget. I like Glorfindel, too, btw. Bruce (20 years ago, 2-Jul-04, to lugnet.castle)