 Castle / 20121
Re: Sheik's Oasis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 2004 22:10:49 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman wrote:

I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with Minas Tirith.  Are you going to
go Microfig scale for some shots, or do you have a load of White bricks that
you're keeping secret?

I do plan on making a microfig city for shots of them approaching the city in
the distance.  Mostly, though, I'll focus in on a scene fairly close-up, so you
just see the immediate surroundings.  The biggest I've gone so far is a city
street that stetches about 32x80, with a tall wall (supposed to be the inside of
the city's walls forming a backdrop.  Probably my biggest setting will be my 6
green baseplates with enough green plates to break up the lines somewhat, with
the same tall wall at one side for fighting outside of the city.

As far as My projects are concerned, I'm not going to be building anything
Tolkien related for a while.  I kinda got pidgeon holed as "that guy who made
the hobbit stuff".

Hey, I thought that was my pigeon hole.  :)

I'm sure I don't have to tell you what it's like to be a victim of your own
success.  It didn't really bother me when tolkien fans (the human ones, not the
ones who wish they were Elves) emailed me, but when I started getting the
e-mails from "the children of Illuvatar" who were pissed that Bilbo's floorplan
wasn't accurate, or that Merry had a green jacket in the movie, and your Merry
doesn't, I kinda had to just start deleting e-mails without reading them.  I've
loved Tolkien forever, but some of the rabid fans freak me out.

Yeah, I actually took all of the e-mail links and guest book off of my website
so I didn't have to deal with the mail.
As to rabid fans, I guess I'm one of them.  What really bothers me is the
ignorant kids who've only seen the movie.  The next snot-nosed brat who tells me
I got it all wrong because the palantir scene "really" takes place in Meduseld,
or it was "really" Eowyn at the Ford of Bruinen, or whatever, is going to have a
minifig army attacking their ankles with little plastic swords.

Now that all the Movies are done, people also have PJ's
idea of what things should look like in their head, so it also kind of puts you
in a spot of having to say a new creation is either based on the Book or the
Movie. No more building Helms deep blindly like back in 2001.

Given that I've read the books several times, going back a couple of decades
before Peter Jackson decided to make a movie, my mental pictures are pretty
strong.  If anything, the two cartoons that came out in the early-to-mid 80's
are really what influence my visuals.

Plus, everyone and their Mom are now building, and in some cases selling LOTR
Lego stuff, so I kinda feel like I'll wait for the hype to die down,

That's cool.  I can wait.

On top of all that I actually like building Wild West and Pirate more than
castle,

Shhh!  Watch your mouth, this is .castle you're typing in.  Pretty soon there
will be a minifig army attaching YOUR ankles with little plastic swords.

so It's about time to return to my roots.  I probably won't have
anything new before the end of the summer, but It's a pretty safe bet it will be
Pirate themed.

Sounds cool.  You should do some sort harbor scene--I like your Puerto Bonito a
lot.

On WW stuff, did you see my page of WW links:
http://www.ozbricks.com/bricktales/misc/ww/wwlinks.html
You show up a couple of times.
My next big project will probably be a WW story.  Of course, at the rate I'm
going, this could be five years down the road.  In addition to the slow progress
on Tolkien I've got a million little ideas of things to make in the meantime.
The one advantage of doing a WW story is that I could set it all in a small
town, so the bulk of it would take place in one big exterior creation of the
town street, with a few smaller "sets" for the inside of a saloon, sheriff's
office, etc.

Bruce