 Castle / 20089
Re: Sheik's Oasis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:29:33 GMT

Jon,

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman wrote:

I'd put the time period as pre crusade, post Islamic conquest, pre Islamic
Schism, although  a lot of the architecture is most likely mid crusade (warfare
has a nasty habit of pushing technology forward).  There are two Gates and two
doors in each gate, the one on the Left for entering and the one on the right
for exiting.
At one time I actually had many African slaves working throughout the scene
however I felt it was a little "too realistic", for a Lego Diorama.  I wanted to
include Africans in the scene, so I went for Nubian warriors instead.  As an
aside, about 4 years ago, I made some African American custom minifigs for a
city scene I was working on, and when the pictures were posted, I was implicated
as a racist for disrupting the "we are all yellow" color theme.  I feel a little
vindicated now that TLG has made actual African American minifigs.  If people
want to see racial insensitivity they should check out set # 215
http://guide.lugnet.com/set/215_1

Anyways, thanks again Magnus.   Jon

Well the "race" issue rarely comes up for castle theme builders, but I suppose
if you are dealing with Middle Eastern castles, theme of crusades, slavery  and
the like make for a far more ethnically diverse minifig demographic than a
simple Northern European Medieval theme. Some of the most impressive castles in
the world were built in the Middle East, and I'd love to explore this theme more
some time, time and brick allowing. Thanks for expanding on a much neglected
area of medieval castle related MOC building!

Magnus