 Castle / 20092
Re: Sheik's Oasis
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 05:19:36 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jon Furman wrote:

   You went a little overboard with the water pipes. :^)

Cheers, John Ladasky

   Thanks John, You are right abut the water pipes, in actuality, if it were a strict Islamic society, They wouldn’t be smoking or drinking at all.

As Lenny Hoffman pointed out, it depends somewhat on the time period, modern societies being somewhat more interested and capable of policing such behavior than older societies. Still, when I was living in Algeria, fellow expats were offered hashish by the locals. And a 1973 book on Moroccan cooking by Paula Wolfert discusses the making of a special clarified butter called smen. As I recall, before the recipe was given, there was a rather humorous story about the effects of properly-made smen, as well as a disclaimer about its legality in several countries!

Here’s a link to the book -- Couscous and Other Good Food from Morocco.

Yes indeed, Moroccan cuisine is tasty! But before you ask, as far as I know, I’ve never eaten properly-prepared smen.

   However, when you are working in stereotypes (like most Lego playsets) you often make concessions.....

Oh, no problem, I appreciated the humor.

   I’d be interested in hearing about those 4 sets. Jon

The Lego sets that I took with me to Algeria with me were: Farm set #190 and Moon Landing #565. On a side trip to England, we bought two most famous sets: Yellow Castle #375 and Space Transport #924 (in the States, these sets were numbered 6075 and 487, respectively. But I didn’t know that until I found Lugnet).

Trying to get this back on topic, I started to build a minaret (with a few fantasy touches) when I first came out of my Dark Ages in the late 1990’s. I only built the peak of the tower, but I was pretty happy with the way it looked. There is exactly one photo of this project! I should finish it, or at the least find the darn photo and post it...

Cheers, John Ladasky