 Announcements / 964
    Town building contest voting - possible problem —Kevin Wilson
   Unfortunately, it looks as if someone is stuffing the voting already. Would people who have already voted, email me and say how they voted, especially in the Fire Apparatus, Small Buildings, and Best Use of Color categories, to give me a bit of a (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.town, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.contests)

        Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Brad Hamilton
     I noticed some suspicious voting myself (i.e. models that seemed not-so-great getting tons of votes)! Kevin Wilson <kwilson_tccs@compuserve.com> wrote in message news:G8zGoI.JsG@lugnet.com... (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

        Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Kevin Wilson
     I wrote to Shane Brunazzi - warning of the possibility that someone was multi-voting for his and other models. His reply, in part (posted with permission) follows: (...) vote (...) I had a feeling this might be it. At this point we are so early in (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

         Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Jacob Sparre Andersen
     Kevin: (...) Considering that the competition is about which model is best according to whatever criteria we happen to decide on, I am very disappointed that somebody asks their friends to vote selectively for their own models. There is nothing (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

         Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Kevin Wilson
     Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote in message ... (...) It's disappointing, yes, but I don't think it will affect the final results assuming that plenty of other people vote. (...) The is a recipe for argument, one person making a decision. I wouldn't run (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

         Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Eric Kingsley
     (...) Just one thought on this... I thought that you were going to decide the catagories like "Best use of Color" and "Best Engineering". I think that having included these in the voting is one reason that the results page takes so long to load. I (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

         Re: Town building contest voting - possible problem —Adrian Drake
     (...) Of course then you'd have to be a Lugnet member to participate in any votes. But I agree it is a nifty idea. Adrian (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

        (canceled) —Amy Hughes

        Re: contest voting mechanism —Amy Hughes
     (...) I could also use cookies to make sure that each computer was used for voting just once. There are ways to cheat this, too, and it may prevent a couple legitimate votes (e.g. family votes), but no system is perfect. This would prevent an AOL (...) (23 years ago, 19-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)

         Re: contest voting mechanism —Jacob Sparre Andersen
     Amy: (...) Generally e-mail authentication is a useful method, but there are some of us who have "a few" addresses (on different domains of course ;-). Having an annoying sense of what is right and wrong, I am afraid I might not use the possibility (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.town, lugnet.build.contests)

        Re: contest voting mechanism —Kevin Wilson
   Amy Hughes wrote in message ... (...) voting, I (...) I think a common, as un-spoofable as possible, voting system that we could all use for contests would be great. It'll take some discussion of required features etc though, before starting. Kevin (...) (23 years ago, 20-Feb-01, to lugnet.town)