 Announcements / 1916
1915  |  1917
Subject:
lsynthcp community development project setup on sourceforge
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 2003 20:57:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Hi,

  I'm happy to announce that lsynthcp, a synthesizer of bendable LEGO/LDraw
parts, is now a project on sourceforge.  This allows all who are able and
motiviated to join in future development of lsynthcp.  lsynthcp is an text
based ANSI C program, who's libraries are limited to stdio and math libraries,
which means it can be developed and enhanced and used on Windows or Unix
systems.

  One of the project goals of lsynthcp is to provide an "all-in-one"
synthesizer for those LEGO parts that are not easily modeled as fixed shape
LDraw parts.  Currently it supports most hoses, cables and flexible axles, as
well as rubber bands (used as belts), chain, and plastic and rubber tread.

  There are many enhancements on the table for lsynthcp:
    Reduced file size by allowing multiple resolutions of synthesis segments.
    Reduced file size by optimizing long straight synthesized parts into one
segment.
    Increased list of supported synthesized parts like more hoses, strings,
springs, etc.
    Support for true hose length for more realistic looking hose shapes.
    Support for differing physical characteristics based on rigidity of thing
being synthesized.
    Support for bent non-flexible axles for more realistic modeling.
    Non-planar rubber bands
    Rubber bands constrained by bricks, beams liftarms and other things besides
pulleys and pins.

  I'm sure there will be more.

  If you are interested in joining, we'll have an ongoing discission in
lugnet.cad.dev.

  I'd like to thank Don Heyse for setting up the sourceforge environment.

Kevin