 Announcements / 1730
  New Polling Mechanism Available

Greetings! Well, since his trip to BrickFest, Todd has been in a coding-frenzy! LUGNET's latest development, now having passed its testing*, is available for all members to use: (URL) think you'll find this tool both fun and useful! (Curators take (...) (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.admin.curators, lugnet.general) !!

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Cool! I was wondering how you made those polls available to make. I just took a look at the poll creation page, and it seems to be very easy to do. Thanks for sharing this with us! <<_Matt Hein_>> (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) appropriate sidebars? Jake --- Jake McKee LEGO Enthusiast Webmaster - BI Portal (URL) (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) It is indeed very simple! Todd did a great job. Here's a link straight to the current list of polls, for handy bookmark: (URL) you want to make something fancier, include FTX in your poll's creation! That's how I made underlined text and (...) (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) "What type of BI do you like the best?" While concise questions are good, I had no idea *what* this poll was about till I went into it, saw who originated it (Jake), remembered his hot button of the moment, and read some of the questions. Now, (...) (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

Great feature! I have placed a Poll for BimP online. Now all we need is a link from the main page to the new Polls area! Steven B. Combs, Publisher Bricks in my Pocket (BimP) (URL) Information: (URL) member #414 (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Take the train poll... (was: New Polling Mechanism Available)

Great idea Todd/Suz! Here is my poll: What LEGO® Train item(s) would you like to see released from LEGO® Direct/Company or third party custom kit maker? (URL) on... Robin Werner LUGNET Member #408 (...) (22 years ago, 11-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) This is a very useful tool, and well implemented. I was hoping you guys could add one feature, which is to allow a message thread to be tacked onto the end of the poll somehow: For example, I took Robin Werner's poll about 9V Train line (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) One thought we had -- but haven't discussed in detail yet -- was possibly creating a special group for polls that could be posted into automatically by the system when a poll is created, and then the article could be linked to from the poll (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Good question! And the answer is: ..... Yup! Since you asked, I'll show you how... :-) Just include the following in the sidebar text: [Poll #] where # represents the poll number, for example: [Poll 4] and your poll will appear there -- as a (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Take the train poll... (was: New Polling Mechanism Available)

(...) Hi Robin, you forgot the most important answer: - new bigger drive wheels for steam engines (with hole for connecting rods) Kind Regards, Ben (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Very cool! Thanks Todd! Jake --- Jake McKee LEGO Enthusiast Webmaster-BI Portal (URL) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Take the train poll... (was: New Polling Mechanism Available)

(...) I would agree. I think it's difficult to do a poll that tries to deal with a really broad subject... that's why my first poll was confined to track geometry. I surely will be doing other polls as we go forward (and putting them on the .trains (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Cool. How did you get it to be so narrow in your CLSotW page? Or let me try that question another way, is there a way to tell FTX "don't exceed a certain width for the next thing, word wrap if you need to"... if you look at the current (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Possibly an error in the polling mechanism (Was: New Polling Mechanism Available)

(...) The result was a page for rating my City X'ers series of cars: (URL) think I have discovered at least one bug in the system. There is no "/jump.cgi" script on "members.lugnet.com", even though FTX generated links attempt to use it. Play well, (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) I just made the page into a two-column table. --Todd (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Admin can hide results (was: Polling Mechanism)

(...) I am recommending a change to the polling system. This change will allow he poll's admin to choose to hide the results, either through a certain date or forever. This allows for the polls to be used for more senstitive subjects, where the (...) (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) You can do that in FTX? I'd love to tell an embedded thing that it has to stay within 40% of the page width. Do I have control (on the front page of a group) over how the posts on the right are laid out??? I didn't think so. (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Simple 2D tables with the tilde (~). I don't know how/if that works on group front pages, though... James (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.admin.curators)

  Re: Possibly an error in the polling mechanism (Was: New Polling Mechanism Available)

(...) Jacob -- thanks for discovering and reporting this bug. It's fixed now. --Todd (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Admin can hide results (was: Polling Mechanism)

(...) Good point. --Todd (22 years ago, 12-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Please let me know if you do find anything to be confusing, of course! One thing I'm particularly concerned about is whether the issue of duplicates in the case of ties for the 'rank' type poll is clear or not. (...) Oh, my pleasure!!! This is (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) that will also allow people to subscribe to that group, and get notifications when a new poll is posted. Of course, then we'll have to make it possible to vote by mail, though it might not be trivial... maybe just a link to the web page of the (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

Hey all, OK, here's my contribution to the polls! Have fun! Which element would you want to be? (URL) comment, I think that this page... (URL) should have a link to "Create your Own Poll", i.e. this page: (URL) a lot Todd and Suz, this is cool. (...) (22 years ago, 13-Aug-02, to lugnet.general, lugnet.fun)

  Re: New Polling Mechanism Available

(...) Busy setting up polls too, by the looks of it. ;) (...) Well, I thought I'd try it out, so I created a short poll last night. However, it was when I looked at the poll again this morning that I realized I'd forgotten one option. To be more (...) (22 years ago, 14-Aug-02, to lugnet.general)