 Animation / 797
Re: Restart of LDA Project (using LDraw models - L3P - POV)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray, lugnet.animation, lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Sat, 15 Jan 2005 07:35:30 GMT

POV-Ray is a programming language itself.  So it is complex.

And extremely powerful. And free. But I think they could have made animation
easier. I hate the fact that you are forced to edit that ini file all the time.
Why??? That should be done from the POV code instead.

I have no idea.  Anton always include the ini with the pov file, so perhaps
whatever tools come from this can just auto create the ini file as well.

Now that we have an LDraw steering committee, maybe we could actually get an
standardized animation syntax....  :D

And I'm a member of the LSC -- LDraw Standards Committee...! :D

Hey!  Cool!  I know the syntax alone wont be much good.  If there aren't tools
that use it, the syntax can't really be proven or improved.  And I imagine it
will take some trial and error before everyone is happy.  And even though you
invision your tool as a scripting langauge thing, in the end, I would like to
have some sort of GUI editor similar to what Stefan described earlier.

So, what do we do to make this happen?  Do we round up everyone who is
interested in this?  I know people have dabbled for years, but I don't know if
anything is really a working product except for  Roland Melkert's LD4DModeler.
I have never tried it and I don't know anything about it.  I know Ahui Herrera
wrote the LDraw.org animation tutorials.  I just went looking and the other 2
LDraw animators I know of are Steve Krass and Martin Humel.  Anyone I miss?
Shall we all get together and talk?

Maybe if we put our heads together, we can come up with something!

James