 Adventurers / 592
591  |  593
Subject:
My thoughts on Dino Island
Newsgroups:
lugnet.adventurers
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 05:41:39 GMT

Well fellow Adventurers I have had some time (finally) to pour over the Dino
Island scans.  By the way if any one still needs them I have them.  I must
have sent out 40 emails since the brew-ha-ha over Huw's initial post!  Glad to
see there is some serious interest in this line.  Well here are my thoughts on
most of the sets, I'd like to hear your opinions, guesses, thoughts, and

First up is the small 5903 Johnny T and Baby T set.  This is in my own opinion
going to be about $4 and have about 25 to 35 pieces.  It will be the set that
is still on Wal Mart shelves four years from now.  The tiny dino and the blue
hubcaps are cool.  With availability and price a herd of tiny t-rexs will be
possible through this set.  The chest and Johnny seem to be the same, and I am
sure that most of the tools are as well.  If they can't put Johnny in new togs
at least give him a rolled up whip or something to spice him up.  Maybe they
did these scans are just to small to tell, here's to hoping for that one.

The next set in terms of size is the 5904  Microcopter.  This is probably
going to be in the neighborhood of $5-$6 and have about 45 pieces.  The first
thing that strikes me is that blasted  Dr. Kilroy minifig!  For me at this
point that minifig has only two redeeming factors. The first is that he does
have a pith helmet and the second being the fun involved in wiping off that
stupid look with an exacto for customization purposes.  Jeeze give me Timmy
any day over this guy.  The microcopter while being a new vehicle type really
reminds me of the Kabaya style sets-overly simplified and tiny.  Btw can
anyone identify the yellowish green (perhaps translucent) item in the upper
right hand side of the scan?  Is it sitting on a BURP? Hmmm.

The 5920 Island Racer is in my estimation an $8 or $9 dollar set containing
maybe 85 or 90 parts.  It seems to be out of place on an island of dinosaurs
but that doesn't stop it from being a sweet vehicle.  I really like the looks
of it.  It may well be my favorite adventurers car to this point.  Is that the
Baron driving it?  What kind of head gear is he wearing? Maybe a light gray
flight helmet w/goggles?  Gosh I hope so.  That would be a cool accessory
addition. Give your thoughts on this one intrepid adventurer fans.

My favorite vehicle of the entire Adventurers line, at least without seeing it
in the ABS is the 5935 Island Hopper.  I love this plane!  The first thing I
want to do is double its size and change the red color scheme, as I have had a
fancy to try my hand at a Grumman Goose for sometime.  This plane provides a
basis to work off of and gives a fairly good sampling of parts.  I guess this
set will be $20 and have 110 to 115 parts.  Harry Cane if that is him seems to
have gotten a new shirt, ala Pippen in the Amazon.  Perhaps Pippen is doing
the flying now?  If so I like it. Can't get enough of those female minifigs!
The pterodactyl seems to be definite SPUD material and really does nothing for
me. Now one the size of the plane made by Craig Hamilton (hint, hint, nudge,
nudge, wink, wink) and buzzing the Earhart like Pippen would get my motor
running.

The 5955 set, All Terrain Trapper, is true greatness in my book.  Where to
begin?  The first thing I noticed was the really cool amphibious vehicle.  I
would imagine this one will be $30 to $35 and include around 165 to 180
pieces.  Is that the blimp's gondola used as a body?  What is under that net
in the back also?  The dinos are pretty cool and I like the detachable feet in
gray and orange.  Two nets are nice, as is the guy by the camp fire.  Who is
he?  I can see Rudy Villano and one that appears to be the Baron, but I can't
make out the third.  Perhaps it is a newly clad Gabarro or maybe his brother
Scabbaro or Stinky Pete the prospecter :)  It would be odd to see the Baron
with with Rudy though, since they never where on the same continent before so
perhaps the Baron looking minifig is Palomar. In fact I am almost certain of
it.  It makes sense to the subtheme as well.  Johnny and Palomar are clashing
in the Amazon and discover an island off the coast, ala Jurassic Park that
these dinos inhabit.  Kind of a continuation of the Amazon subtheme, but
totally fresh with a new spin.  Opinions?

Set 5975 or T-Rex Transport is super!  The freighter almost makes me blind to
the rest of the set.  In the range of $50 and including about 320 pieces this
will be one sweet set for fans of lego boats.  The feighter looks ripe for
about a three brick lift job and maybe a little lengthening as well.  Hey
pirate fans, how can we widen it?  LMK  The tractor trailer rig is nice but
does not especially jazz me.  I do like the blue accented smaller car.  Did
they use a blue sarcophagus(sp?) for the frame?  The T-Rex is nice and for
awhile will be hot, but give him three years and you'll see auctions for 20 of
them going for relatively cheap.  Think dragons, sharks, octopi,
alligator/crocs on this one.  Someone already mentioned that the Triceratops
had different colored feet than the one in the 5955 set, I thought this was
worth mentioning again. Kudos on the keen eye there.  As for the minifigs, I
see Johnny, the Dr., Gabarro, and what again appears to be the Baron (huh?).
There is also another that I can't make out. Is it Pippen?  A new character (I
hope)?   Any guesses?

The 5987 Dino Research Compound lives up to the typical standards of the
largest set in any theme.  Carrying an $80 tag with about 550 to 600 parts
this set rocks!  Cool parts galore.  I like the new brige set up, the roof
pieces, the thick green plates, the load of brown and tan elements, the tree
stump is cool (is it like the old stump?), and the green car.  The BURP is
back and where are all the plants?  I needs my vegetation man!  The minifigs
are all the ones in the previous dino sets, so once we figure out the others
we'll know this one as well.  I won't even start on the blue two seater
plane.  My how we clamored for a two seater and this is what we got.  Guess it
pays to be specific or be ready to modify, modify, modify.  But that is why
legos are great in the first place.

Well there you have my buck fifty's worth.  Let me hear from the rest of you
out there.  I need some fresh eyes to tell me what I'm missing and/or wrong
about.  And again if you need the scans email me.  Not a problem.

Cheers,
Mark L