 Administrative / Suggestions / 55
Re: Marking articles as 'read'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 22:56:08 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Schilling writes:
Lugnet keeps track of what articles you've read (or at least looked at), so
why not make this available to the user?  Rather than relying on your
browser history, this would let you more easily see which articles you've
read, and which you haven't.

Well, I dunno if there's extra code on Lugnet to store this info (it may
consume a significant amount of disk space), but in general for message
boards such as Lugnet, this information is *not* stored on the server, it's
all handled by the client, whether that be a browser, email client or a
newsreader.

Read the second ref and posts near it in the tree, including Todd's
comments, LUGNET already knows (still does, even though the rating system
was modified) who has rated posts

Agreed. My words above related to the proposal store info about who's *read*
each message, not about who's *rated* them.

and thus could know all history for all
readers of the web interface with some code changes but theoretically no new
data structures (although volume would go way up, many more people read than
rate)

Also agreed. Is there a good reason for Lugnet to spend a (potentially)
large amount of disk space to store this info? I think not, but obviously
others disagree. (Note that I regularly use the web interface on 3 different
machines, and occasionally NNTP, and have no problem remembering which
messages I've already read.)

ROSCO