 Administrative / Suggestions / 58
Re: Marking articles as 'read'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 00:55:46 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford writes:

<snip>

I think I've shown already where Todd said that the code change would not be
"large" to do this. (but *any* code change is large, some just are larger).

I didn't mention code change size.

The data structure already exists.

I *did* read the posts around both those refs, and found nothing about the
data structure (for marking posts as read) already existing. Maybe you could
point me to it?

Whether or not it would add a large volume of data or impact performance
significantly is an important question but should not impact the analysis of
the BENEFITS, only the cost.

Well another minus is that it'll only work for the web interface - those
using SMTP & NNTP on different machines will *still* have the problem that
posts marked as read on one machine / client will not be marked read on
another. I see no way around this, as it is handled by the client. Though
maybe something could be added in the header for messages already
*downloaded or emailed* by the user. This isn't equivalent to *read*, but is
similar to what Todd was proposing with the web interface change. It also
requires the user to check the header (or program their client to do so).
Another challenge to consider is how email & news clients can mark posts as
"unread" if required.

By the way, I collected a number of these not because I think they're all
good ideas... but because they were lost and needed finding. You might go
find a few that were lost on your own... (yours or whoevers) because we
ought to collect as many as we can before we start tearing into the analysis.

Will do.

ROSCO