 Administrative / Suggestions / 57
Re: Marking articles as 'read'
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sun, 7 Apr 2002 00:23:57 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford writes:

<snip>

I think I've shown already where Todd said that the code change would not be
"large" to do this. (but *any* code change is large, some just are larger).
The data structure already exists.

Whether or not it would add a large volume of data or impact performance
significantly is an important question but should not impact the analysis of
the BENEFITS, only the cost.

You've said you wouldn't find it useful, and that's fine. One datapoint. But
just saying "I don't think this is useful to me" is insufficient, IMHO, as
an argument against, just as "I think this is useful to me" is insufficient,
by itself, as an argument for.

I'd rather hear more of an argument than just that you don't find it useful,
and that applies to all suggestions you've argued against, not just this one.

By the way, I collected a number of these not because I think they're all
good ideas... but because they were lost and needed finding. You might go
find a few that were lost on your own... (yours or whoevers) because we
ought to collect as many as we can before we start tearing into the analysis.