 Administrative / Suggestions / 56
Re: Web interface for cancelling articles
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 23:31:28 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Larry Pieniazek writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Ross Crawford writes:
In lugnet.admin.suggestions, David Schilling writes:
There should be a web interface for cancelling articles.  This can be done
with other posting methods.

I see the reasoning behind this, but I don't think it's necessary. Note that
SMTP & NNTP messages *cannot* be cancelled

Um, not following you here at all. LUGNET is nntp underneath and nntp news
servers allow cancel. When you send a note to Suz asking that she cancel
something for you (giving a precise reference to it and a clear indication
that it was you doing it) what I believe she actually does is cancel the
article via nntp.

If you use the nntp interface you can do it yourself, or previously could,
anyway. Are you saying that function is no longer there (I no longer use
nntp, as web generally blows it away in my view)?

Uh, I stand corrected. So I guess that is one feature NNTP users have over
SMTP & HTTP. I guess for web users, the best way would be to have a "cancel"
button on the message view page (with associated confirm page). For logged
in users, it could verify using their posting address that it's their post;
for others it would need a screen for them to input their posting address,
and have a "cancel confirmation" email sent to that address.

Do SMTP users also need an email method? That would be a bit more tricky. It
could possibly be done by having a cancelpost@lugnet.com, but the correct
message needs to be identified. This could be done by using the info in the
confirmation email, but if that's already been deleted, the problem remains.

Comparing the content (ie re-send the same message to cancelpost@lugnet.com)
is probably possible, but may not be 100% effective.

Any other ideas?

ROSCO