 Administrative / Suggestions / 1057
Re: SWM AFOL in Boston seeking SF
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:14:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Mark Papenfuss wrote:
But my 3 year old listens, and understands, better than Leonard did there.

That was really a not cool thing of you to just say.

I find it odd that these 100% off-topic posts (despite the fact the posts
themselves may be in the correct group – the point is the group itself is
in the wrong group) are allowed outside the off-topic forum.

The extent to which any given group is "on-topic" (e.g., LEGO-focused) or
"off-topic" (e.g., non-LEGO) is not a 0 or 1 but a fuzzy value in-between.
For example, many posts in the .loc area are non-LEGO-related, as are most
posts in the .admin area.  If you look harder you will also find a group
here called .robotics.handyboard, which is only marginally related to LEGO.

The purpose of the .off-topic tree is to collect certain groups which are
known *a priori* to be non-LEGO-related.  The .off-topic area is *not* for
*all* non-LEGO-related discussion.  A certain amount of non-LEGO discussion
is tolerated in *every* group.  It's up to the participants of each group
to decide over time how much is appropriate for that group.

I hope this clears up any confusion which may remain.

--Todd