 Administrative / NNTP / 952
Re: newsticker
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:37:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Jon Palmer wrote:
I have noticed one strange thing.  When you click on a link from the • ticker
in IE it opens up another window (with another ticker) for the news item.
This second window will not do the same thing however.  You can use the
ticker in this window and the posts will appear in the same browser • window.
Weird.  Maybe IE doesn't like the --TARGET="_content"-- tag. I dunno. • Don't
know why it would only do this in the first window and not the second.

Not a big deal to me though. I really like the idea of having the ticker
for as many browsers as possible.  And I agree with others; this really • will
change the way I read Lugnet.  Its not replacing my trusty newsreader but • it
helps to zero in on a post very quickly.  Also exposes me to a TON of • cool
posts that I would never see otherwise.  Good stuff.

I think it makes sense.  Netscape says the _content target is the main
window, IE of course, disagrees.  So when you click on a link, it creates a
window called _content - new window.  But now _any_ click (in _any_ ticker
window) will still have a target set to _content, which is the window that
now exists.  Maybe I should look into putting some browser specific code
there, but I'm not sure I know how to do that (yet)

:)

Dan