 Administrative / NNTP / 580
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 16:02:26 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Joslin writes:
In lugnet.admin.nntp, Tom Stangl writes:

I simply can't agree with this - you're basically relegating any AFOL that
gets
lucky enough to be hired by TLG to Second Class Citizen status, even though
they
are STILL AFOLs, just their employer has changed.

How does it relegate them to second class citizen status?  They are still more
than welcome to post anywhere they want, using a non-LEGO address.

And given Yahoo, Hotmail, etc, it's neither hard nor expensive to obtain a
second email address anymore.

My goodness, how many times does this need to be repeated?

It's easy to get an email. Easy, but irrelevant to the argument. I have 5.
So what?

It's HARD to toggle posting settings here. You minimise that as being
something that technically savvy people ought to be able to hack through.
But why force this on people? The answer is that it's only appropriate to
make things harder to use when there is a clear benefit from doing so that
outweighs the cost. If such a benefit exists, the inconvenience (and
rudeness shown TLC) is worth it.

That benefit hasn't been shown. Not to my satisfaction. Asserting over and
over that it's BAD BAD BAD to have LD post official answers outside of their
hierarchy does not *show* that benefit, it merely asserts it exists.
Unproven assertion. You need to provide at least one concrete example of why
it's a bad thing, either real or hypothetical, that can stand up to
scrutiny, which you have failed to do, or your argument fails.

Todd can do anything he wants and he can say "it's my whim to do this", and
that's fine. All we can do is abide. But you're not Todd, no matter how much
he praises you, and you can only make arguments about why it's a good thing
to do something. Which, again, you have failed to do.

Let me repeat that. *Todd* can say "this is the way it is. Deal." and we're
done. But as long as he keeps arguing that it's a good thing to do it, some
of us will keep arguing back that it isn't. *YOU* can't say "Deal." because
you're not Todd. Todd's whim counts for everything, it's his site. Your
whims count for nothing, except inasmuch as you have more influence over
Todd than some of the rest of us do due to geographical proximity and
friendship.

This point seems to be lost on you.

Personally, upon reflection on all this hubbub, my advice to TLC employees
is to just set their settings (once) to a non LEGO(r) address and post
wherever they need to post. When they're making an official pronouncement,
stamp their siggy with "this is an official answer to the question that was
raised by a fan" and answer it in the appropriate (theme) group. That seems
to comply with the letter of the new requirements. And they can just skip
ever setting the address settings back to a LEGO address.

++Lar