 Administrative / NNTP / 579
Re: Official vs. unofficial LEGO postings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.lego.direct, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:38:39 GMT

In lugnet.admin.nntp, Eric Kingsley writes:
In lugnet.lego.direct, Mark Papenfuss writes:

OK, so this makes what - 3 people that *understand* this? Compared to the
vast majority that do not *applaud* this action, hmmm.

I would not go assuming that.  Just because the "vocal majority"
does not like this right now does not mean that only 3 people agree
with Todd.  Remember one of the dynamics of Newsgroups is that people
that disagree with a situation are much more likely to post than people
that agree.

That doesn't mean more people argree with Todd then don't but you can't assume
more people disagree with Todd just by the posts you read here.

True. We don't know the actual number of agree/disagree/undecided. Probably
never will. My gut tells me more disagree, though, at least for now. Yours
may differ. (people tend to think others agree with them)

But irrelevant, ultimately.

It's Todd's decision. He can be *influenced* by large numbers of people
saying "what a dumb idea, and here's why" but ultimately he has his reasons
and he has to bear the responsibility in case of lawsuits etc. (1)

I don't want LUGNET to be like the Clinton administration, unprincipled,
venal, and ultimately driven by polling popular opinion, I want it to be
driven by principle. And it is. Even if I disagree with Todd I can admire
his taking a strong stand on something.

I know you know this. I know ALL Erics know this, actually. Bears restating
though.

Note that it is possible to be principled and still fail, because you have
the wrong principles.

1 - not that I think this particular item falls in the "likely to generate
lawsuit" category (1). It DOES fall in the "likely to generate ill will"
category, and it is indeed generating ill will.

2 - although there ARE things that have been done here that I consider
legally ill advised. When I said what one of them was, I was rather rudely
told to shut up about it... So be it, not my ultimate responsibility, I
tried to help but not giving credence or at least respect to council is a
disincentive to offer further council. As I told another Eric, you guys have
Todd's ear. Use it wisely.

++Lar